Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<20240518191728.0000131b@example.com>

From: Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: [OT] Deputy PM says it's un-Canadian to notice that a killer
 was out on bail
Date: Sat, 18 May 2024 19:17:28 -0400

On Sat, 18 May 2024 16:10:23 -0700
The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:

> On Fri, 17 May 2024 21:51:34 -0400, Rhino
> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>
> >What do you think will happen in the BC election? I'm not even sure
> >when it's happening, just that it will be relatively soon. Are people
> >sufficiently disgusted with Eby to turf the NDP? Typically, NDP
> >governments get two consecutive terms before you put the other guys
> >back in but I don't know where public opinion is in BC this year.
>
> I expect to see a NDP victory - though if I had my way David Eby (head
> of the BC NDP) would be "ridden out of town on a rail". In an effort
> to amp housing starts (immigration in both BC and ON which is where
> most Canadian immigration is going has created a mass housing shortage
> which is driving prices through the roof - which is major bad news for
> the 30-35 age group who are normally the group buying their first home
> but are largely priced out of the market. There was a newspaper
> article a couple of weeks ago about a husband and wife pair of MDs who
> got turned down for a mortgage....)
>
> Anyhow what Eby has done is allow free subdivision of pretty much any
> single family home into most suites which would have the effect of (a)
> massively driving up land prices and therefore taxes (b) require mass
> demoliion of most 40-50 year old houses in Vancouver and Victoria
> (mine was build in 1987) (c) convert single family into multi-family
> lots without amending the tax code (which taxes multi-unit lots at a
> higher rate than single unit lots and (d) mean the de-forestration of
> most of metro Vancouver since most single family homes are built in
> the center of lots with plenty of trees around the perimeter of the
> property - usually 5-10 feet from the edge though for 4-plexes you
> would need to build to within 3-4 feet of each property line - all of
> which means massive property inflation with little relief for first
> time buyers - and most of the inflation would be front end loaded
> meaning the increases would come BEFORE the new suites were actually
> built. It would also create a mass run (no pun intended) on water and
> sewage systems....
>
> Vancouver prides itself on having more trees than almost all cities in
> North America so this scheme is likely to change that!
>
> Meanwhile the provincial Liberal party has had a split with the more
> conservative wing currently leading the polls but intra-mural fighting
> is likely to result in the NDP winning a lot of 3 way races.

So as bad a job as Eby is doing, the NDP will likely be re-elected. My
condolences!

> The provincial election is scheduled for 1 week after Canadian
> Thanksgiving (which Rhino will know is about 3 weeks before US
> election day)

In case non-Canadian residents are wondering, Horny Goat and I are in
the same country but we don't get much detail with respect to elections
in other provinces. That's why I didn't know when the BC election was.

--
Rhino