Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<20240521153523.000066b7@example.com>

From: Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Vermont: Free Home Downpayments, But Not for Whites
Date: Tue, 21 May 2024 15:35:23 -0400

On Sun, 19 May 2024 23:30:49 +0000
BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
> > BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote: =20
> >> It's called the Homeownership Down Payment Program and it provides
> >> a $25,000 forgivable loan only to buyers who are black, indigenous
> >> or people of color who are buying a permanently affordable home
> >> through the Champlain Housing Trust or its partner agencies across
> >> the state.
> >>=20
> >> https://www.wcax.com/2024/04/15/program-help-bipoc-vermonters-become-h=
omeowners-expanding/?outputType=3Damp
> >>=20
> >> ----------------------
> >> There are plenty of low income white people who could use a leg up
> >> to help buy a home but they're shit out of luck in Vermont, where
> >> they'll be told they have the wrong skin color to access that
> >> benefit.
> >>=20
> >> I wonder how they'll treat someone who is half-white and
> >> half-black? Maybe it goes by looks. If you look black enough, like
> >> Obama, you get the loan. If your white parent's genes came
> >> through, then no loan for you.=20
> >=20
> > "Indigenous" isn=E2=80=99' even a real thing. How do you claim that sta=
tus?
> > Shouldn't anybody who wants it just be able to say they are? =20
>=20
> Yep. I'm indigenous. I was born in Kentucky and I'm not from anywhere
> else.
>=20
> And while you might say, yes, but your forebears aren't from North
> America... well, that applies to the people who are considered
> "indigenous", too. No flavor of human being is actually indigenous to
> North America. We all originally came from somewhere else.
>=20
> But much like 'African-American', any white people who actually
> qualify under their politically correct jargon will be told "that's
> not what we mean".

Like the white South African who emigrated to America, got his
citizenship, and filled in every HR form with the term
"African-American". (This apparently drove the HR people nuts but there
was nothing they could do about it.)=20

I also heard about an Egyptian-American woman who was born and raised
in Egypt who ticked the "African-American" box but got chastised for
it.=20

Personally, I'd love to check the "African-American" box given the
opportunity. If challenged I would point to my (distant) African
ancestors. After all, every person on Earth is descended from the first
humans who evolved in Africa. Although humans EVENTUALLY migrated to
other continents, they spent many millenia in Africa before even the
first migrations took place. That's gotta count for something!

--=20
Rhino