Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<20240521155629.00000d9a@example.com>

From: Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: More on Canadia's Orwellian 'Online Harms Law'
Date: Tue, 21 May 2024 15:56:29 -0400

On Sun, 19 May 2024 18:54:30 -0400
Nyssa <Nyssa@LogicalInsight.net> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> >      What does any of this have to do with protecting
> >      children online? Nothing, as far as we can see. This
> >      entire law seems designed more to punish and silence
> >      enemies of the Liberal government and shield it from
> >      criticism than protect any children.
> >
> >      In addition, all social media companies are going to
> >      be supervised by a brand-new government body called
> >      the Digital Safety Commission. This commission can,
> >      without oversight, require companies to block access
> >      to any content, conduct investigations, hold secret
> >      hearings, require companies to hand over specific
> >      content and information on account holders, and give
> >      all data to any third-party 'researchers' that the
> >      commission deems necessary. All data. Any content. No
> >      oversight.
> >
> >      The ostensible purpose of putting the Commission (and
> >      not the ordinary police) in charge is so that it can
> >      act informally and quickly (i.e., without a
> >      warrant)...
> >
> > We don't need those pesky warrants anymore in Canadia.
> > We're protecting the cheeeeeldruuuunnn, dontcha know?
> >
> >      ...in situations where child porn can spread quickly
> >      across the internet. What it means in effect,
> >      however, is that the Digital Safety Commission is
> >      accountable to no one and does not have to justify
> >      its actions. It endows government appointees with
> >      vast authority to interpret the law, make up new
> >      rules, enforce them, and serve as judge, jury, and
> >      sentencing authority all in one.
> >
> >      Canada already has laws criminalizing terrorism and
> >      threats, so we're not talking about someone plotting
> >      murder or terror. Then who are we talking about?
> >      People who read the 'wrong' websites? People who
> >      won't get vaccinated? People who criticize Justin
> >      Trudeau? People who go to church and believe certain
> >      activities are immoral and will send you to hell?
> >
> >      Between the Online Harms Bill and his appalling
> >      misuse of the Emergencies Act to debank and
> >      protesters, Trudeau is making a mockery of the law he
> >      has sworn to uphold.
> >
> >> You might be surprised to note that this bill is NOT the
> >> subject of great controversy in this country. In fact,
> >> beyond the initial articles describing the intent of the
> >> law, I haven't seen it even MENTIONED in our media
> >
> > Yes, they really do try and keep this sort of thing quiet
> > until it's passed into law and the round-ups have begun,
> > don't they?
> >
> >> Trudeau really HAS destroyed this country. This kind of
> >> thing would have been unimaginable to anyone but the most
> >> paranoid prior to his election in 2015.
>
> I can't see this tragedy of a proposed law being
> declared constitutional if it is eventually passed.
>
> Even with that goofy "not withstanding clause" built
> into the Canadian constitution that allows provinces
> to opt out of laws and amendments they don't like, it
> should not be able to pass a court's scrutiny or be
> in line with the northern take on the US's Bill of
> Rights...which is no where near as citizens'-rights

I truly hope the normal mechanisms of the government will keep this
atrocity from being passed in its current form. Then again, I'm
appalled that Bill C-16 passed a few years back and allows for people
to go to jail for 2 years for the act of misgendering someone! I would
have thought THAT would also be unconsitutional.