Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<20240522132148.000021c1@example.com>

From: Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: NHS tainted blood scandal
Date: Wed, 22 May 2024 13:21:48 -0400

On Tue, 21 May 2024 19:30:45 -0000 (UTC)
"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
> >Tue, 21 May 2024 09:01:16 -0000 (UTC) Adam H. Kerman
> ><ahk@chinet.com>:
>
> >>All hail socialized medicine. This is so much worse than the
> >>subpostmaster scandal.
>
> >Did you watch Mr Bates vs The Post Office when it aired on PBS last
> >month? Just curious....
>
> I discussed it on Usenet when I did.

I missed that thread. Do you recall the subject line or date?
> >. . .
>
> >>. . .
>
> >We had a tainted blood scandal of our own and it was bad enough that
> >the Red Cross got out of blood collection entirely; now the new
> >Canadian Blood Services Agency does blood collection.
>
> There was plenty of tainted blood in the United States too.
>
> >After the original scandal died down, the blood supply has not been
> >heavily discussed but every once in a while, I see articles to the
> >effect that more of the restrictions against certain blood donors
> >have been lifted. I haven't followed the details closely but
> >homosexuals *are* apparently able to give blood now.
>
> We never had a restriction on other than gay men as I recall, but they
> made no distinction between those with risky sex habits and those
> without. Not sure there was ever an issue with lesbians as
> communicable disease spread is far more difficult.
>
> >I'm not clear if their blood
> >is actually tested for HIV/AIDS though or if they just have to give a
> >pinky swear that they are not overly promiscuous and don't share IV
> >needles.
>
> If the blood from individual donors is tested BEFORE being commingled
> and batched, I don't see why a restriction is necessary.
>
> >I really need to find out about that because one fine day I
> >could well end up needing a blood transfusion and I *really* don't
> >want to get HIV/AIDS!! I know it is not the death sentence it was
> >initially but I gather the treatment is not particularly pleasant and
> >goes on for the rest of your life so I really want to avoid all
> >that.
>
> If it's elective surgery with enough lead time, then make arrangements
> to store your own blood.

A couple of weeks ago, I had a test done and one of the forms I filled
out said it *might* be necessary to do a transfusion; it wanted my
consent to do the transfusion. It did NOT promise that the blood supply
was free of HIV/AIDS or any of the hepatitis variants. As it turned
out, they didn't need to do a transfusion but I really don't know what
quality of blood I would have gotten. I did NOT have an option of
banking some of my own blood in advance, just in case.

--
Rhino