Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<20240530185805.000008c3@example.com>

From: Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: [OT] Trudeau devaluing citizenship even further
Date: Thu, 30 May 2024 18:58:05 -0400

On Thu, 30 May 2024 10:58:02 -0700
The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 May 2024 10:35:39 -0400, Rhino
> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>
> >I assume you're being facetious and wouldn't actually support these
> >changes just for the dubious benefit to Gretzky's grandkids given the
> >rather more dramatic negative consequences of the legislation.
>
> If you're suggesting I thought it was "the Gretzky bill" then no I
> don't.
>
> Do I think some underling might have mentioned it in passing during
> liberations in the drafting of the bill? Wouldn't surprise me at all.
>
> But for sure I'm sure you agree that even if Gretzky isn't the most
> famous living Canadian he's in the top 2 or 3.
>
> Never mind "old soldiers never die they just pass away..." - at least
> as far as Canada is concerned you could say the same concerning hockey
> players!

I actually put forth the idea when the government was searching for a
replacement for the chairmanship of that inquiry into foreign
interference in elections - after David Johnson self-destructed his
image - that they should pick someone known to all Canadians and
respected by all, specifically Wayne Gretzy. Of course this was a
comment here on Usenet or maybe on YouTube so it never got adopted but
I think people might have actually trusted the results of that inquiry
a lot more than whatever some Trudeau-picked judge had to say.

Having said that, I have no idea what Gretzky's politics are. He may be
a hard-left "progressive" like Trudeau and Singh and their respective
crews and be hopelessly biased in favour of the Liberals. But I agree
that he's certainly one of the very best known Canadians within Canada.
Mind you, I'm thinking of our generation. I don't know what the Gen Z
folks or millenials know of him; perhaps he is virtually unknown to
them since he hasn't played in so long now.

--
Rhino