Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<20240531101116.00003f74@example.com>

From: Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: [OT] Anyone using Steam, I need a bit of help
Date: Fri, 31 May 2024 10:11:16 -0400

On Thu, 30 May 2024 21:37:39 -0400

> I'm just trying Steam for the first time but it's not behaving
> reasonably so I'm hoping someone more familiar with it might give me
> some insight into what I'm doing wrong.
>
> I went to login and, of course, it recognized that I didn't have an
> account already, so I clicked on the link for creating an account. I
> filled in an account name and desired password on the first screen,
> then supplied an email address, checked the Over 13 checkbox and
> completed the ReCaptcha; it sent me an email and then I clicked the
> verification button in the email. It told me I was verified and showed
> me the login screen. I filled in the account name and password,
> expecting to enter Steam but instead, I got the message: Please check
> your password and account name and try again.
>
> I'm baffled. I just created this account and it said everything was
> fine but now it refuses to sign me in.
>
> For what it's worth, I've done this sort of account creation many
> times before so this is not my first rodeo: I know what should
> happen.
>
> I've tried retyping the account name and password. No go. I tried
> creating an account with the same account name and password but a
> different email address but that gave me the exact same frustrating
> result. I've tried resetting the password but that changed nothing.
>
> There's a help link under the message but none of the options under
> the help link connects you to a human being who might be able to
> actually explain what's wrong; there are options to change your email
> address, reset your password, etc. but nothing that looks like it
> might actually help aside from the password reset which DIDN'T help
> at all.
>
> So, does any other Steam user have any idea how I can finally get in?
>
> Is there some sort of forum where Steam users hang out where I might
> be able to get some human guidance?

The Steam sign in screen was the first thing I saw when I sat at the
computer today so I decided to just press the signin button without
retyping or changing anything from yesterday. It immediately signed me
in without any problems. I'm guessing it needed a few minutes more than
I'd given it last night to register the account before I could sign in.

Thanks for the assistance guys; I'll keep your suggestions in mind in
case I have further troubles.

--
Rhino