Article <20240625113616.000075e0@yahoo.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<20240625113616.000075e0@yahoo.com>

From: Michael S <already5chosen@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Baby X is bor nagain
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2024 11:36:16 +0300
	<v5bu5r$va3a$1@dont-email.me>
	<20240624181006.00003b94@yahoo.com>
	<v5c86d$11ac7$1@dont-email.me>
	<JEheO.108086$ED9b.74955@fx11.iad>
	<v5cblg$11q0j$1@dont-email.me>
	<gEieO.108089$ED9b.25598@fx11.iad>

On Mon, 24 Jun 2024 18:10:20 GMT
scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

> bart <bc@freeuk.com> writes:

> >> Why do you believe that the size of the executable is interesting?
> >>

> >Well, what metric IS interesting?
> >
> >You seem to not care whether an executable is 10KB, 10MB, or 10GB.
> >You really don't think there's correspondence with build-time?
>
> No.  The ELF file contains a lot of stuff that never gets
> loaded into memory (symbol tables, DWARF section data, etc);
> writing to the object files by the compiler is an insignificant
> component of the overall compile time.
>
> Build time is not related in any way to the size of the
> ELF.

That's why in my original post in this sub-thread, in order to give
a feeling of the size of compiler's job I gave the size of text
segment rather than size of the elf.
The size of text segment is, of course, not a good measure of
compiler's job, esp. when we are trying to compare compile jobs for
different target architectures, but it is less bad than any alternative
measure [that is not too hard to gather] that I can think of.
If you can think about anything better, please tell us.