Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<20240626200841.08b1ad7b@big-rig>

From: Hunter <hunter2k1@disroot.org>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: =?UTF-8?B?U3lzdMOobWU=?= D
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2024 20:08:41 -0500

On Tue, 25 Jun 2024 05:54:34 -0000 (UTC)
Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> wrote:
> Surely they could come up with their own system for handling login
> sessions. Just start with the code from before systemd came along.

There is one, it's called ConsoleKit2. All the systemd-free distros
ditched it because it didn't cover the "seat management" needed to
support Wayland sessions. These days we can use seatd for that. That
way ConsoleKit2 does the session tracking and seatd manages seats, no
need for an octopus like elogind covering both because both of those
components do their jobs very well.

It pains me how distros like Slackware or Devuan conceded to using
logind. Devuan at least still has the package and it's up to date, but
nothing is built to support it.

PCLinuxOS is the only distro I know still using Ck2 and I recently
ported seatd over to finally get working Wayland sessions on there.