Article <20240628032211.403@kylheku.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<20240628032211.403@kylheku.com>

From: Kaz Kylheku <643-408-1753@kylheku.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Baby X is bor nagain
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2024 10:26:59 -0000 (UTC)
 <v53lf7$34huc$1@dont-email.me> <v53vh6$368vf$1@dont-email.me>
 <v54se1$3bqsk$1@dont-email.me> <20240624160941.0000646a@yahoo.com>
 <v5bu5r$va3a$1@dont-email.me> <20240624181006.00003b94@yahoo.com>
 <v5c86d$11ac7$1@dont-email.me> <JEheO.108086$ED9b.74955@fx11.iad>
 <v5cblg$11q0j$1@dont-email.me> <gEieO.108089$ED9b.25598@fx11.iad>
 <20240625113616.000075e0@yahoo.com> <mUzeO.141609$Cqra.55051@fx10.iad>
 <v5elql$1jmii$1@dont-email.me> <m3BeO.24907$Gurd.16179@fx34.iad>
 <v5empd$1jndv$2@dont-email.me> <v5eph4$1k6a9$1@dont-email.me>
 <87ed8jnbmf.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <v5jhls$2m7np$1@dont-email.me>
 <v5jm32$2nqvp$1@dont-email.me> <v5k3v2$2qllm$1@dont-email.me>
 <v5kfst$2svt3$1@dont-email.me> <v5kmlm$2u918$1@dont-email.me>
 <20240627201830.854@kylheku.com> <v5m2nl$39qob$3@dont-email.me>

On 2024-06-28, bart <bc@freeuk.com> wrote:
> On 28/06/2024 04:23, Kaz Kylheku wrote:
>> On 2024-06-27, bart <bc@freeuk.com> wrote:
>>> And for most of /my/ compiles, the code produced by gcc-O0 is fast
>>> enough. It also about the same speed as code produced by one of my
>>> compilers.
>>>
>>> So I tend to use it when I want the extra speed, or other compilers
>>> don't work, or when a particular app only builds with that compiler.
>>>
>>> Otherwise the extra overheads are not worth the bother.
>>
>> How good are your diagnostics compared to GCC -O2, plus -Wall and -W?
>
> Using products like tcc doesn't mean never using gcc. (Especially on
> Linux where you will have it installed anyway.)
>
> You can use the latter to do extra, periodic checks that the simpler
> compiler may have missed, or to produce faster production builds.
>
> But gcc is not needed for routine compilation.

Catching common bugs in routine compilation is better than once
a month.

You could be wasting time debugging something where GCC would have told
you right away you have something uninitialized or whatever.

If you have a CI pipeline, you should at least have it run the
good-diagnostics compiler, so it catches problems when developers
submit code.

Mastodon: @Kazinator@mstdn.ca