Article <20240709155014.000039d0@yahoo.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<20240709155014.000039d0@yahoo.com>

From: Michael S <already5chosen@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: question about nullptr
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2024 15:50:14 +0300
	<v6hotk$11nib$2@dont-email.me>
	<20240709104848.00005732@yahoo.com>
	<86cynmajh9.fsf@linuxsc.com>

On Tue, 09 Jul 2024 04:32:50 -0700
Tim Rentsch <tr.17687@z991.linuxsc.com> wrote:

> Michael S <already5chosen@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > On Mon, 8 Jul 2024 15:23:47 -0700

> >> Not even something like:
> >>
> >> #define CLINE 128
> >>
> >> char x[CLINE] = { '\0' };
> >>
> >> ?
> >>
> >> ;^)
> >
> > I see nothing special about your case. {0} is the most appropriate.
> >

> Any use of '\0' almost always strikes me as an affectation.  It's
> like people want to somehow pretend that it's not the same as
> just 0.
>
> > And, BTW, I never use #define for integer constants.
>
> What do you do if you need to define a compile-time constant
> whose value is outside the range of signed int?  With the
> understanding that the context is C as it is now, and not
> C++ or some imagined other language.

In comment above "integer constant" meant "within the range of signed
int". But let's accept more general meaning. Then, when it happens, I
have a problem and forced to flex my principles :(
Luckily, it's pretty rare. I mean, it's pretty rare that the constant
is both outside the range of signed int and I really really have to
have it as compile-time constant. More often big numbers like these are
used in arithmetic/logic, so 'const wide_type' or 'static const
wide_type' is practically as good as a "real" compile-time constant
despite being "less constant" in theory.