Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<20240816001232.00006711@yahoo.com>

From: Michael S <already5chosen@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: Article on new mainframe use
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2024 00:12:32 +0300

On Thu, 15 Aug 2024 17:44:42 +0000
mitchalsup@aol.com (MitchAlsup1) wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Aug 2024 0:02:11 +0000, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>=20
> >
> > Mainframes are obsolete. The mindset of =E2=80=9Cthe CPU is expensive, =
let=E2=80=99s
> > surround it with complex channel controllers to handle batch I/O=E2=80=
=9D
> > stopped being relevant sometime in the 1980s, if not before. =20
>=20
> If one defines a mainframe computer as having the ability to remove
> and replace every component without taking the computer off line--then
> mainframes are still relevant. Reliability, Availability,
> Serviceability.
>=20
> And when I say everything I mean everything:
> power supplies, memories, disks, NICs, other devices, CPUs, cooling,
> ..

And then there comes an electrician and pulls big red switch. Twice.
And after that it turns out that live link to reserved computer 20 miles
apart and the whole restart procedure was never tested.
That's exactly what happened in Heathrow not so many (7) years ago.

It was never confirmed that computers in fault were IBM mainframes, but
what else it could have possibly been?