Article <20240822104049.378@kylheku.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<20240822104049.378@kylheku.com>

From: Kaz Kylheku <643-408-1753@kylheku.com>
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell,comp.unix.programmer,comp.lang.misc
Subject: Re: Python (was Re: I did not inhale)
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2024 17:48:03 -0000 (UTC)
 <20240815182717.189@kylheku.com> <v9npls$1fjus$1@dont-email.me>
 <v9t204$2dofg$1@dont-email.me> <va28pi$3dldm$1@dont-email.me>
 <va2ro9$3gd7v$1@dont-email.me> <va2vt0$3h3gj$1@dont-email.me>
 <va44rh$3p1l6$1@dont-email.me> <va45gv$3pilh$1@dont-email.me>
 <va4b0i$3q4g0$2@dont-email.me> <va5u2q$1uhn$3@dont-email.me>
 <va75ob$dfb0$2@dont-email.me> <va77gb$dr7n$1@dont-email.me>
 <20240822082202.318@kylheku.com> <va7n47$g5ck$1@dont-email.me>
 <oJJxO.113938$1w_2.94131@fx48.iad> <va7qig$gnq2$1@dont-email.me>
 <20240822103622.714@kylheku.com>

On 2024-08-22, Kaz Kylheku <643-408-1753@kylheku.com> wrote:
> On 2024-08-22, Bart <bc@freeuk.com> wrote:
>> So this is only indirectly using POSIX under Windows.
>
> That is correct; the Microsoft POSIX subsystem isn't used, if that's
> what you mean by "direct".
>
> It's not designed to be usable, as far as I know.

The Wikipedia has info about this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_POSIX_subsystem

Over the years, Microsoft shipped different "POSIX-on-Windows"
solutions, making them a moving target.

You cannot rely on any of these, not only because of the moving
target nature, but because of various drawbacks.

None of them are useful when what you want either of these:

- port a POSIX program such that it's a native Windows application,
  not requiring any special environment or subsystem.

- develop a native Windows application which uses POSIX interfaces to
  interact with the host system as much as possible.

Mastodon: @Kazinator@mstdn.ca