Article <20240908115334.00006322@yahoo.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<20240908115334.00006322@yahoo.com>

From: Michael S <already5chosen@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Top 10 most common hard skills listed on resumes...
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2024 11:53:34 +0300
	<871q27weeh.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
	<20240829083200.195@kylheku.com>
	<87v7zjuyd8.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
	<20240829084851.962@kylheku.com>
	<87mskvuxe9.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
	<vaq9tu$1te8$1@dont-email.me>
	<vbci8r$1c9e8$1@paganini.bofh.team>
	<20240905094916.287@kylheku.com>
	<vbd8b8$g8iv$1@dont-email.me>
	<vbeick$p6kd$1@dont-email.me>
	<20240906140541.00004c8f@yahoo.com>
	<864j6somo7.fsf@linuxsc.com>

On Fri, 06 Sep 2024 07:56:56 -0700
Tim Rentsch <tr.17687@z991.linuxsc.com> wrote:

> Michael S <already5chosen@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > On Fri, 6 Sep 2024 10:35:16 +0100
> > Bart <bc@freeuk.com> wrote:

> >> Sure, if you want to completely disregard all the cases where the
> >> symmetry does exist.
> >>
> >> That means that for you, there is no interesting difference (using
> >> my example of assigning A to itself) in a language where you write
> >> 'A = A', and one where you write 'A = .A'.
> >>
> >> (I'd be interested in how, in the latter language, you'd write the
> >> equivalent of 'A = A = A' in C, since the middle term is both on
> >> the left of '=', and on the right!)
> >
> > The point is that in BLISS everithing that is legal on the right
> > side of asignment is also legal on the left side.
> > I don't know if the point is generally true.  In particular, if
> > BLISS supports floatig point, what is meaning of floating point on
> > the left side?
>
> BLISS is word based and typeless.  On a PDP-10, doing a
>
>     .pi = 0
>
> where 'pi' holds a 36-bit floating-point value (and 3.14159...
> presumably), that floating-point value would be used as an
> address and 0 would be stored into it (assuming I remember
> BLISS correctly).

On PDP-10 reinterpreting [18 LS bits of] floating-point as address is
natural, because addresses, integers and FP share the same register
file.
It seems to me that on S/360 or CDC-6K or PDP-11 or VAX it would be
less natural.
However, natural or not, BLISS was used widely both on PDP-11 and on
VAX, which means that it worked well enough.

> So probably not what one wants to do. ;)

Yes, LS bits of FP as address do not sound very useful.
On the other hand, using several MS bits of FP, although typically
fewer than 18, as address is useful in calculations of many
transcendental functions.