Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<2935676af968e40e7cad204d40cafdcf@www.novabbs.org>

From: mitchalsup@aol.com (MitchAlsup1)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: Is Intel exceptionally unsuccessful as an architecture
 =?UTF-8?B?ZGVzaWduZXI/?=
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2024 23:45:50 +0000

On Tue, 17 Sep 2024 23:30:04 +0000, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Sep 2024 20:51 +0100 (BST), John Dallman wrote:
>
>> Not many computer companies survive three failed architectures: has that
>> record been beaten?
>
> I think it’s fair to say that both Intel and Microsoft were companies
> more
> renowned for marketing prowess than actual technical brilliance.
>
> And now that that marketing prowess is fading somewhat, both companies
> are
> suffering a bit from a marketplace that is changing faster than they can
> cope.

Just last night, I was in a conversation with someone trying to start up
a new company that wants to compete in the "server market". Direct
quote;
"the CPUs are simply I/O managers to the Inference Engines and GPUs."

Back when I was doing GPUs*, the Physics was still done n the CPUs with
the rendering done on the GPUs. That physics is now being done on the
GPUs. (*) 2012-2015

Who here thinks that CPUs have become the CDC 6600 PPs for the GPUs and
Inference Engines ??