Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<2aa86jhpiuvckg06t6euk48v0rqip9ctvl@4ax.com>

From: Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: (OT) Windows 10 won't back up to an internal HD?
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2024 05:53:52 -0400

RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote:

>My wife's Windows 10 computer (Inspiron, not my choice) came with a 256GB
>SSD and a 1TB hard drive. Stupid me, I assumed that Dell would set up it up
>so the program data would save on the TB hard drive and the applications
>would run from the SSD. Nope. Everything ran on the SSD and all data was
>saved there. The hard drive is just a drone, sitting there and doing
>nothing. (I just discovered this.)
>
>So after about three years, her computer slowed way down. I assumed she
>needed more memory and bought a 32GB SIM (so she now has 40GBs of RAM).
>Still slow. Then I realized that she had filled up her SSD. It actually had
>only 25MBs free tonight. It's a wonder it ran at all.
>
>So I ordered a 1TB SSD, and tonight cloned it in an external enclosure and
>installed it. Worked well (the SSD came with Acronis True Disk). I saw that
>Acronis had a backup utility as well, so figured I would back up the new SSD
>to the practically unused hard drive... and I found out Microsoft doesn't
>like backing up to an internal hard drive. Why does it have this limitation?
>
>For those of you who use Windows, is there any way to make Windows 10 back
>up to an internal hard drive? I've seen something about making the internal
>drive a "network drive," which seems kind of convoluted. Is there any
>application that overrides this (to me) senseless limitation? And why does
>Windows 10 have this limitation — is there a logical reason for it?
>(Apparently Windows 7 didn't have this limitation.)
>
>Kind of ranting. Sorry. But I would like to see my wife's internal hard
>drive set up for backups — if possible.

Heh, this is some funny shit, he asks a Winblows-problem question,
because it's harder for him to figure out than Linux, which he runs on
his own device.  I don't really have a great answer for him, because I
wouldn't use some automated backup imaging BS, I have an external hard
drive, I copy files to it, and I can copy them back to my machine,
simple.  If necessary, I reinstall the OS from the ground up.  Just
not into this system image scheme.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent.  States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.