Article <2f1a154a34f72709b0a23ac8e750b02b@www.novabbs.org>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<2f1a154a34f72709b0a23ac8e750b02b@www.novabbs.org>

From: mitchalsup@aol.com (MitchAlsup1)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: Computer architects leaving Intel...
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2024 16:40:24 +0000

On Wed, 28 Aug 2024 3:33:40 +0000, BGB wrote:

> On 8/27/2024 6:50 PM, MitchAlsup1 wrote:

>>> Making RISC-V "not suck" in terms of performance will probably at least
>>> be easier than making x86-64 "not suck".
>>>
>> Yet, these people have decades of experience building complex things
>> that
>> made x86 (also() not suck. They should have the "drawing power" to get
>> more people with similar experiences.
>>
>> The drawback is that they are competing with "everyone else in
>> RISC-V-land,
>> and starting several years late.
>
> Though, if anything, they probably have the experience to know how to
> make things like the fabled "opcode fusion" work without burning too
> many resources.

>>> about anyone wanting to do so on a large scale.
>>>>

>>> My thoughts for "major missing features" is still:
>>> Needs register-indexed load;
>>> Needs an intermediate size constant load (such as 17-bit sign extended)
>>> in a 32-bit op.
>>
>> Full access to constants.
>>

> That would be better, but is unlikely within the existing encoding
> constraints.
>
> But, say, if one burned one of the remaining unused "OP Rd, Rs, Imm12s"
> encodings as an Imm17s, well then...

Dropping compressed instructions gives enough OpCode room to put the
entire My 66000 ISA in what remains.

>> With the OpCode space already 98% filled there does not need to
>> be such a list.
>>

> One would still need it if multiple parties want to be able to define an
> extension independently of each other and not step on the same
> encodings.

And what kind of code compatibility would you have between different
designs...

>>> The closest we have on the latter point is the "Composable Extensions"
>>> extension by Jan Gray, which seems to be mostly that part of the ISA's
>>> encoding space can be banked out based on a CSR or similar.
>>>

>>> Though, bigger immediate values and register-indexed loads do arguably
>>> better belong in the base ISA encoding space.
>>
>> Agreed, but there is so much more.
>>
>>      FCMP    Rt,#14,R19        // 32-bit instruction
>>      ENTER   R16,R0,#400       // 32-bit instruction
>> ..
>>

> These are likely a bit further down the priority list.
>

> Prolog/Epilog happens once per function, and often may be skipped for
> small leaf functions, so seems like a lower priority. More so, if one
> lacks a good way to optimize it much beyond the sequence of load/store
> ops which is would be replacing (and maybe not a way to do it much
> faster than however can be moved in a single clock cycle with the
> available register ports).

My 1-wide machines does ENTER and EXIT at 4 registers per cycle.
Try doing 4 LDs or 4 STs per cycle on a 1-wide machine.

>>> At present, I am still on the fence about whether or not to support the
>>> C extension in RISC-V mode in the BJX2 Core, mostly because the encoding
>>> scheme just sucks bad enough that I don't really want to deal with it.
>>

>>> Realistically, can't likely expect anyone else to adopt BJX2 though.
>>
>> Captain Obvious strikes again.
>>

> This is likely the fate of nearly every hobby class ISA.

Time to up your game to an industrial quality ISA.