Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<2ff37jtmh0eo1cc5uk5pjf1mn3c2bih7p5@4ax.com>

From: john larkin <jl@650pot.com>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: British (european?) kitchen counter electric outlets
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2024 10:12:18 -0700
References: <v42ndi$2spjg$1@dont-email.me> <1quvk5k.dbn40q1ggrom8N%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> <v440c1$3d8rb$1@dont-email.me> <v45bjf$3radd$3@dont-email.me> <v45i56$3tscd$1@dont-email.me> <v4m71a$3vav2$1@dont-email.me> <v4nb4p$5pn2$1@dont-email.me> <v4nbu6$1kb5$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com> <v4nhe7$79i4$3@dont-email.me> <v4pggq$mque$1@dont-email.me> <1qvbi3a.1c0gwqkz8zungN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

On Mon, 17 Jun 2024 22:41:08 +0100, liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid
(Liz Tuddenham) wrote:

>Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:
>
>[...]
>> The house design he describes is relatively modern transition probably
>> around the 1930's. Pre 1910 and solid wall is much more likely.
>
>I don't know how common this was, but a house I lived in, which was
>built in 1901, had cavity walls.  All the terraces of houses in that
>area, which were built between 1895 and 1905, had cavity walls, even
>though they were built down to a price for sale to ordinary working
>families.
>
>The actual materials were a very poor quality local brick for the
>interior wall and Bath Stone (Oolite) for the outer.  The courses were
>laid with gas slag mortar, which was made in a pug mill on site from
>lime and the residue from the local gasworks.
>
>During WWI a bomb went off near one of the terraces and the shock wave
>propagated through the clay soil, jarring dozens of houses.  The houses
>appeared not to be too badly damaged and the cracked mortar joints soon
>repaired themselves (mortar is self-healing).  A decade later it was
>noticed that  a lot of them were suffering from rising damp.  The shock
>of the bomb had dislodged the mortar 'snots' on the cavity side of each
>wall, they fell down to the bottom of the cavity and filled it to a
>level which bridged the damp course with a load of porous wet material.
>
>The builders had provided air vents on the outside and omitted
>corresponding bricks in the inner wall, to increase the underfloor air
>circulation.  I found it was possible to worm my way along under the
>floor, reach into the cavity through the missing brick holes and pull
>out bucketloads of the wet material by hand.  It was a very unpleasant
>job but it solved the damp problem.

My old Victorian, built in 1892, had walls made of 2x4 studs (is that
a cavity wall?) with lath and plaster, some rooms updated to drywall.
No insulation. Knob and tube wiring.

The foundation and chimney were brick. The mortar was probably mixed
with sea water, and the salt leached out so the mortar could be
removed with a fingernail.

The chimney crumbled in the 1989 quake so I took it apart a brick at a
time and left a nice open skylight in the kitchen.

Zillow says it's worth 21 times what I paid for it.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/166-Highland-Ave-San-Francisco,-CA-94110_rb/15163637_zpid/