Article <34mccjtmvq3el7ng5sbg22on4v0a2c6363@4ax.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<34mccjtmvq3el7ng5sbg22on4v0a2c6363@4ax.com>

From: Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Facebook Account
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2024 14:42:29 -0700
References: <ZuawO.460378$89y.355349@fx18.iad> <v9ss9r$1v8v2$10@dont-email.me> <SQnwO.515782$a6n5.254570@fx15.iad> <v9tcdf$1v8v1$4@dont-email.me> <OeOwO.111999$1w_2.53033@fx48.iad> <49l7cj5bhrtcqajj298mdj702mu8irkdvk@4ax.com> <va2al2$3dlns$3@dont-email.me> <p7e9cj1jq391obfcn1s2qe9rjdn79uje1n@4ax.com> <va4col$3qdaj$2@dont-email.me> <tr2ccjholqs6hrtl7buphppqqt0psjocu1@4ax.com> <ESqxO.1263696$Liga.194892@fx15.ams4>

On Wed, 21 Aug 2024 19:04:04 GMT, Roger Merriman <roger@sarlet.com>
wrote:

>Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Aug 2024 05:41:40 -0400, zen cycle
>> <funkmasterxx@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> I will admit, if I had the time I Linux is something I've thought I
>>> might enjoy tinkering with. Maybe when I retire. I have way too much
>>> going on in my life right now to take on another hobby.
>>
>> I've been involved in debates that revolve around "What will it take
>> to make Linux a mainstream operating system"?  The Linux fanatics will
>> propose major changes to the licensing, UI, standards, etc.  When I
>> suggest that all it will take is for Microsoft and Apple to make a few
>> big mistakes, I'm usually greeted with silent contemplation.

>I’m out of the loop rather but kinda feel that the Year of the Linux
>desktop is unlikely to happen, and the desktop itself self looks to be
>fairly stagnant technology wise.

I agree.  The year of the Linux desktop is unlikely because the
developers and promoters of Linux distros and desktops are promoting
it to the wrong audience.  Mostly, they're trying to turn Linux users
into programmers.  When that fails, they try to turn them into
programmers, developers, configuration jugglers, YouTube influencers,
and other hard core users.  The real market for Linux desktops is the
total beginner, who knows very little about Linux, doesn't want to
know more about Linux, and secretly hates computers.  That describes
about half of my former customers when I was effectively in the "hand
holding" business.

A long time friend and Linux user successfully demonstrated this to
me.  Upon retirement, he began helping beginning computer users.
Mostly they were seniors with almost no computer experience.  The
reasons they needed a computer varied, but there was one common
requirement.  The computer and operating system should be very simple
and not get in the way of whatever they wanted to do, which was mostly
email, document processing, a few spreadsheets and printing.  Turn it
on, do their thing, print the results, and turn it off.  At this time,
he has moved about 100 (my guess) former Windoze users to Ubuntu and
LibreOffice.  All seem happy with Linux.  Only a few have learned
anything about computers and Linux.

At the same time, I was doing something similar using Chromebooks and
ChromeOS.  Google targeted a similar audience but added schools.  I
got similar results as my friend with plenty of users that learned
very little about ChromeOS.  However, after a good start, things were
working well and customers were happy.  It didn't last because Google
alternated between abandoning the project and making so many changes
that the beginning users could never hope to catch up.  Several
returned their Chromebooks to me with "moving target" being the common
complaint.  Adding children to the target audience was another
mistake.  Seniors and most adults don't like to be treated like
children.  ChromeOS Flex was Google's solution which made nobody very
happy and was abandoned by Google on arrival.

I forgot to mention that I've also had good luck with English as a 2nd
language immigrants.  Using a simple computer in their native language
is what they want.

>Linux or at least the kernel has managed to get into all sorts of places
>and hands.

Sure, because it's free and it works.

--
Jeff Liebermann                 jeffl@cruzio.com