Article <38055f09c5d32ab77b9e3f1c7b979fb4@www.novabbs.org>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<38055f09c5d32ab77b9e3f1c7b979fb4@www.novabbs.org>

From: mitchalsup@aol.com (MitchAlsup1)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: My 66000 and High word facility
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2024 18:49:35 +0000

On Sat, 10 Aug 2024 18:17:54 +0000, Brett wrote:

> My 66000 should look into the z/architecture High Word Facility as that
> would give you another 65% more registers or so. You have the opcode
> space and it is Another nice boost for some customers.

The article posted by Andy Glew was luke-warm at best. Now, while
IBM has figured out that 16 GPRs is insufficient, there is scant
data that 32 are insufficient {witness how few RISCs went with
bigger files}

Since My 66000 is a 64-bit architecture with a modicum of support for
8-bit, 16-bit, and 32-bit stuff; and since 32-truely GPRs seems to be
enough (compiler output), I think I will pass.

Due to significant access to constants, My 66000 with only 32-actual
registers performs as well as RISC-V does with 32I+32F in most codes,
so there does not seem to be an insufficient number of registers. I
even have ASM examples where RISC-V runs out of registers where My
66000 does not !! Not wasting register to hold onto big immediates,
big displacements, or big addresses goes a long way to thinning out
the register count necessities.

In My 66000 one can utilize all 32 registers, with 0 reserved for
{linking, splicing, GOT access,...} these "effective constants"
become actual constants meaning one does not have to consume a
register to have access through that constant address value.

> IBM supports Linux, so the compiler support should exist. X86 solved the
> aliasing issue with finer tracking.

Neither of which would worry me.