Article <39eedjhjl0cs0hgbcn9osbj9tpqu5h9hl0@4ax.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<39eedjhjl0cs0hgbcn9osbj9tpqu5h9hl0@4ax.com>

From: Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Higher Education Is Overrated
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2024 09:40:27 -0700
References: <g8h7dj5jov9ct1ftkjpsi4jr7fkuomfcv9@4ax.com> <50l7djp70iih6u5ihjatud4tjn8a1jv95t@4ax.com> <76m7djholh22mnrcou9kr3dkt7dmbr5q1a@4ax.com> <s4p7dj11jnagplugq7kivm2aap4gquk3uv@4ax.com> <vb205q$1h4h0$4@dont-email.me> <kv39djd8167vi5ihncsq1tf0n53l00c2mb@4ax.com> <vb2677$1ialb$2@dont-email.me> <rq99djdvc1jma9kf3qnv2jgquqh6gukrih@4ax.com> <vb2bde$1j3i9$1@dont-email.me> <2d8ddjp7et16qol1v8kf8hu3f1a59anil1@4ax.com> <j8hddjp8hn53p8pfqcqo8l1j547s89ntbc@4ax.com>

On Tue, 03 Sep 2024 15:38:33 +0700, John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 02 Sep 2024 22:55:31 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 1 Sep 2024 13:22:39 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
>>
>>>The English firing arrows into slow/stuck cavalry is about
>>>as much as I knew until your helpful details.
>>
>>Another video.  I don't agree with everything discussed, but I believe
>>that the video is worth watching:
>>
>>"Historian Mike Loades Debunks 'The Agincourt Myth'"
>><https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0Xwx12ekSU>  (37:13)

>I don't see anything concerning "myth" in that film. The English
>armies who invaded France were largely mercenaries. In the 1400's a
>man at arm was paid 12 pence a day and an archer 4.

I did a little Goggling and found numerous "myths" about Agincourt.
For example:
"Five Myths about the Battle of Agincourt"
<https://www.medievalists.net/2015/10/five-myths-about-the-battle-of-agincourt/>
The problem seems to be that in 1599 Shakespeare wrote his own version
of what happened in his play Henry V.  Sir Laurence Olivier made
additional changes in the 1944 movie.  There was also quite a bit of
reverse engineering in the historical accounts as to why various
things happened.  To keep things simple, I guess the author of the
video provided a provocative title and probably created some
additional controversy to attract additional attention.

>file:///home/anon/Downloads/Chapman.pdf

Ummm... that PDF is located on your computer where I can't read it.

>AS I understand it various "Lords" were contracted by the King to
>supply various numbers of men for some for of for see
>https://www.medievalsoldier.org/about/agincourt-600/the-english-army-in-1415/english-army-table/\
>for examples.
>https://www.reddit.com/r/ArmsandArmor/comments/1c70g4a/who_are_these_archers_in_full_plate_depicted_at/

Yep.  I call to your attention the interlocking alliances that were
responsible for WWI growing into an uncontrollable mess.  Well, the
interlocking alliances were present during the middle ages with the
added bonus of the Feudal System creating contractual obligations
between literally everyone that lived at the time.  Keeping all that
organized and accurate must have been difficult.

--
Jeff Liebermann                 jeffl@cruzio.com
PO Box 272      http://www.LearnByDestroying.com