Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<3pgfeysuuesw$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

From: VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: app to read a book to me on an airplane
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 08:14:53 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH

Android Owner <android@google.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Apr 2024 09:13:05 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:
>
>>> I have a few ebooks in PDF (and other) formats.
>>> Is there a simple to use free app without ads that will just read the book
>>> to me
>>
>> Not all PDF pages are rendered in natural order (i.e. top down, left to
>> right order for Western script) some can be effectively random
>> characters sprinkled onto the page in the required places, I doubt a
>> reader would handle them well ...
>
> These are all epub books in a variety of epub formats, not just (text) PDF.
> Most are in mobi but some are azw/azw3 (only a few are in (text) PDF).
>
> They are designed for readers.
>
> I'm hoping to find a good voice output reader that speaks the entire book
> (without having to select every single paragraph, which is ridiculous) to
> my wired headphones for the trip on the plane.

I've never used any Kindle stuff, but you mention azw/azw3 formats which
are Amazon Kindle file formats.  From what I've read, the Android Kindle
app can read back those ebooks.

https://www.amazon.com/hz/audible/narrationhelp/
https://filme.imyfone.com/text-to-speech/kindle-text-to-speech/

There are several Text To Speech (TTS) reader apps at:

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=tts%20ebook%20reader&c=apps

However, trying to find truly freeware (no ads as the cost) is like
trying to find a virgin in a whore house.  I've heard users mentioning
the following, but have no experience with them:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cliffweitzman.speechify2
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.naturalsoft.personalweb
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tts.reader             (*)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foobnix.pdf.reader (*)

(*) Same author.

Some are mentioned at:

https://www.getpeech.com/post/the-best-text-to-speech-apps-for-android-in-2024

Trying to find out which TTS ebook readers work without an Internet
connection takes more work, like doing the test that I did where you
attempt to read aloud while the phone is in Airplane mode.  Most claim
to use whatever speech engine is installed in your phone.