Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<4113538921.d7bc3a25@uninhabited.net>

From: Roger Hayter <roger@hayter.org>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: Favourite Test Equipment
Date: 6 Apr 2024 22:05:35 GMT

On 6 Apr 2024 at 21:39:25 BST, "Cursitor Doom" <cd@notformail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 05 Apr 2024 19:37:27 -0700, John Larkin <jl@997PotHill.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 6 Apr 2024 00:35:46 +0200, Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund
>> <klauskvik@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> I bought a Siglent DDS SDG6022X for 1300USD, 200MHz thingie. I knew
>>> forehand that it could be hacked to 500MHz, so "saved" 3000 USD for 1
>>> hours work :-)
>>>
>>> https://www.batronix.com/shop/waveform-generator/Siglent-SDG6022X.html
>>>
>>> EEVBLOG has hacking details if anyone is interested...
>>
>> We bought a few Rigol 300 MHz 4-chan scopes and insisted that they
>> throw in the 500 MHz upgrade.
>>
>> I remember when FFT was an extra-cost feature. Now it's free.
>
> Excuse me for being a bit slow on the uptake here, but it seems to me
> that there are a *lot* of products which are fundamentally all
> manufactured to the same spec - but then deliberately crippled unless
> you pay some sort of ransom to have them 'unlocked' as it were. Would
> that be correct or am I being too cynical?

No, but is differentiating products on softwar supplies any different from
differentiating them on hardware?  Cheap ones simply wouldn't be available to
hobbyists if they had to sell them all as top of the range, where they make
the money for the effort to make a high bandwidth scope.  There is also the
advantage that they can perhaps be hacked by well-informed hobbyists, but most
commercial buyers wouldn't be happy doing that for one or another reason.

--

Roger Hayter