Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<41i88jt54kfg89e3t7efoqec08t7rt95ki@4ax.com>

From: boB <boB@K7IQ.com>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: hobby electronics
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2024 11:37:57 -0700

On Tue, 02 Jul 2024 11:06:30 -0700, john larkin
<jlarkin_highland_tech> wrote:

>On Tue, 02 Jul 2024 13:04:21 -0400, Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net>
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 02 Jul 2024 09:28:17 -0700, john larkin
>><jlarkin_highland_tech> wrote:
>>

>>>It's my opinion that there are few hobbyists that really work with
>>>parts and make circuits, and most EE grads are EE/CE dual majors that
>>>code more than they solder, and don't have instincts for electricity.
>>>
>>>Here's a youtube on the subject:
>>>
>>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLnolhyT5SI
>>>
>>>Some of these guys blame surface mount, which seems wrong to me. There
>>>are lots of thru-hole parts and parts kits around.
>>>
>>>I'd like to hire a few kids who love component-level electronics, but
>>>they are hard to find.
>>
>>Send your hunting teams out to radio amateur meetings.  Bring nets.
>>
>>Joe Gwinn
>
>Is there still ham radio? Internet, cell phones, email, games,
>texting, and free long-distance seems to have killed that.

No, amateur radio is still alive.  Not as build it yourself as it once
was but they are still out there and experimenting.

I have been part of some STEM  demonstrations and STEM science fairs
where the young people of today, the old people of tomorrow, are
impressionable and interested I think.  They REALLY like Jacob's
ladders !  They also seemed to like playing with the soldering iron
and trying to make connections which was also part of my STEM table.

Yeah, it's not the same as it was when we were growing up but I think
you just have to find the right ones and mentor them.  Some might even
stay on the one job and want to learn more and actually be useful to
your/my company.

boB