Article <486a9f99378d53bc4a44f12b9c3b6097789c23df@i2pn2.org>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<486a9f99378d53bc4a44f12b9c3b6097789c23df@i2pn2.org>

From: Richard Damon <richard@damon-family.org>
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: Re: Liar detector: Peter Olcott is a Liar !!!
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2024 22:30:50 -0400
 <v6ciqt$d3v$1@dont-email.me>
 <5c04052a3d139ac587f72bec322cc04efdb07c32@i2pn2.org>
 <v6cju3$kfo$1@dont-email.me>
 <c1e33e8d17881ae66899ec78d7efddfba2562f35@i2pn2.org>
 <v6clg1$mkt$1@dont-email.me>
 <8b091927da50f703dd9d207d52d92ab97ec2493c@i2pn2.org>
 <v6ctre$5on8$1@dont-email.me>

On 7/6/24 10:17 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 7/6/2024 7:20 PM, Richard Damon wrote:
>> On 7/6/24 7:54 PM, olcott wrote:
>>>
>>> (a) You determine that you need groceries
>>> (b) You report this need
>>> (c) then you go to the store to buy them
>>>
>>> (a) HHH determines that it needs to abort DDD
>>> (b) HHH reports this this need (as text before the action)
>>> (c) then HHH aborts DDD
>>>

>> And I, being willful, am not FORCED to do that sequence.
>
> *Sure you are. This cannot work*
>  >> (c) then you go to the store to buy them
>  >> (b) You report this need
>  >> (a) You determine that you need groceries

Sure I can, I can decide to go to the store just because I feel like it.

While there, I can remember things I might have needed.

When I get home, I might notice some things I need to remember for next
time I go to the store.

None of this matter though, as what we were talking about is that the
programm HHH doesn't have any choices, it just runs through the
instructions of the code to compute the answer it is programmed to do.

Yes, in one sense the term "decider" is a bit of a misnomer if you try
to think about it anthropomorphically. The program doesn't "think" about
what it is doing and "weigh" the evidence to make a decision. All that
work was done by the programmer who made the program. The program is
just an automaton doing exactly as it was programmed, Maybe we can think
of it doing some "artificial thought" (artificial as it isn't really
thought, just a mechinized action that sort of mimics it)

They are called deciders, because, if they work right, we can feed in
inputs and they will spit out the decision of whether that input meets
the programmed condition. Of course, we need to be sure the decider was
programmed correctly to trust it.

Or, just as humans can make a wrong decision if our logic or inputs are
good enough, the programatic decider can make wrong decisions if theur
programming is wrong.

And, it turns out, there are tasks that just can not be correctly
programmed to handle all possible inputs, like halting.