Article <49l7cj5bhrtcqajj298mdj702mu8irkdvk@4ax.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<49l7cj5bhrtcqajj298mdj702mu8irkdvk@4ax.com>

From: Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Facebook Account
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2024 16:56:36 -0700

On Mon, 19 Aug 2024 20:50:54 GMT, cyclintom <cyclintom@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> You knowing nothing about programming are probably mystified.

I hate to disappoint you, but I know very little about programming.  I
can do some programming when necessary but prefer to have someone else
do my programming.  I also don't mix socially with programmers.
Despite these limitations, I've been successfully self-employed as a
computer consultant and computer repairman for 36 years (1984 to
2020):
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeff-liebermann-151823/details/experience/>
While knowing how to program can be useful, it's not a requirement for
knowing how to configure a Facebook account, knowing how to login,
being able to type your email address or login name correctly, and fix
various Windoze software related problems.

My knowing very little about programming was not an accident or the
result of a head injury.  It was an intentional decision that I had to
reluctantly make when I moved to Silicon Valley.  At the time (1973 ?)
the pundits and experts were proclaiming that an engineer, who didn't
immediately learn how to program, would soon become obsolete and
unemployable.  I realized that there was not enough time to
simultaneously stay up to date on RF (radio frequency) design and
learn how to program.  Since the herd was stampeding in the direction
of programming, I decided that concentrating on RF design was a better
choice.  There were times when I regretted that decision, but over the
years, it has worked quite well for me.  Predictably, most of the
analog and RF engineers I know can also program, but few of the
programmers I've met can do anything useful with RF design. Meanwhile,
the same programmers are complaining that their jobs are being
outsourced to less expensive overseas sweat shops.  In the future,
programming might be performed by AI's.

--
Jeff Liebermann                 jeffl@cruzio.com
PO Box 272      http://www.LearnByDestroying.com