Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<4O9Y8U3gtfBKakbkPS0LmREorbI@jntp>

Subject: Re: Langevin's paradox again
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
JNTP-HashClient: 5d4UtPsqsX1EP2hdqBlJla6fTfc
JNTP-ThreadID: sxhQQgyUgiiv6OcO_6O_beeL7bk
JNTP-Uri: http://news2.nemoweb.net/?DataID=4O9Y8U3gtfBKakbkPS0LmREorbI@jntp
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 24 18:29:51 +0000
From: Richard Hachel <r.hachel@tiscali.fr>

Le 11/07/2024 à 16:09, ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) a écrit :

>   From the perspective of the twin chilling back on Earth, the
>   traveling twin is getting the time dilation treatment the whole time,
>   so he ages way less. That part's a no-brainer. But now let's flip
>   the script and look at it /from the traveling twin's point of view/:
>
>   When the traveling twin bounces from Earth (I'm assuming
>   constant velocity for simplicity), time on Earth starts slowing
>   down for them. Not like, looking through a telescope slow,
>   but like, the time between two moments on Earth that line up
>   with a single second on the spaceship is actually less than a
>   second. Trippy, right?
>
>   Then when the traveling twin boomerangs back to Earth, time is
>   still dragging for them. That's the time dilation working its
>   magic - independent of the direction of the movement.
>
>   So the traveling twin should be thinking his Earth-bound bro is
>   aging slower. But somehow, it's the opposite - the Earth twin is
>   looking way more mature. What gives? Could it have something to do
>   with that quick boost in the middle to flip the script and head back?
>
>   This is the question that's been stumping everyone, but get
>   this - I found the answer last year in some old Einstein text.
>   Here's how it breaks down:
>
>   The traveler thinks of himself as stationary and unaccelerated. But
>   how does he keep that mindset when the engines are blasting during
>   the turnaround? It's like there's a uniform gravitational field
>   filling the whole space - the engines are just keeping the ship from
>   falling in it, so it stays at rest!
>
>   So if the traveler sees himself as at rest during that acceleration,
>   a uniform gravitational field is filling the whole space for him.
>
>   In this field, the traveler and Earth twin are at totally different
>   potentials (and the farther apart, the bigger the difference).
>   This potential gap makes time on Earth zoom by so fast, it more
>   than makes up for the slowdown on the outbound and return legs!
>
>   And that's why, /also from the traveler's point of view/, more time

But no!!!

Damn, what are you all doing on sci.physics.relativity talking loads of
bullshit?

The problem is not there at all, and here is one (which seems to come from
Germany) who didn't understand anything more.

Damn it! Breathe in, breathe out!

This is not AT ALL what is happening. The U-turn, absolutely nothing
happens on TIMES, but only on spaces (and only in Stella's frame of
reference).

Breathe in, breathe out!

All this is the fault of this idiot Python, who has been completely
ruining the scientific forums for thirty years by spitting on posters as
soon as he sees one that does not seem to him to be in conformity.

And we end up with posts as stupid as this one.

I repeat, during the U-turn, nothing happens at all on the TIME side.

For Terrence to stay on earth, he observed in his ultra-powerful telescope
Stella traveling an immense semi-circle at the tangential speed of 0.8c,
and returning to earth.

We admit that the rocket can withstand these terrible accelerations,
and Terrence observes that the U-turn takes place in 40 hours.

For Stella, the clean time is shorter, only 24 hours.

The effect is absolute.

Once this is understood, we see that it all fits together very well, and
that there is no need to imagine useless unicorns.

But what happens during this U-turn for Terrence?
He ages by 40 hours, and observes that his sister ages by 24 hours between
the moment she begins the U-turn, and the moment she completes her U-turn.

FOR Stella, it's exactly the same thing, when she begins her U-turn, her
clock marks 9 years, and she sees over there (direct-live) Terrence's
clock marks three years.

When she finishes her U-turn, she has aged 24 hours, and she sees the
earth clock which still marks three years (plus 40 hours).

Nothing special happens.

And those who say that something is happening (like gap-time) are morons
who don't understand the theory.

Being an idiot who doesn't understand doesn't matter, personally I
remained an idiot for decades before I got the hang of it and was able to
write an SR of perfect logic and perfect beauty.

What's serious is remaining stupid when others give truly magnificent
explanations and we spit on them.

Doctor Richard Hachel.