Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<4qdj5jhh6pd5aar7kcijl7k8ve4g92108e@4ax.com>

From: john larkin <jl@650pot.com>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Optocoupler datasheets
Date: Fri, 31 May 2024 04:41:56 -0700
References: <66574685$0$2363143$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com> <v37j72$171gp$1@dont-email.me> <30bfd151-0f05-5761-1ef9-ae5bc4a3c3b2@electrooptical.net> <v39bpf$1jo9i$2@dont-email.me> <v39nue$1luc3$1@dont-email.me> <050h5jlbdtnavt2aoo037j9p89eu4613af@4ax.com> <be71782a-2d29-eb43-cf63-491b52fcb65f@electrooptical.net> <56th5jl9dinht3hjdff841pslvfuu1643c@4ax.com> <v3b4le$1tf49$1@dont-email.me> <ofaj5jd40f97uqgoeb2101b288tffgahdg@4ax.com> <v3cbqk$2721e$1@dont-email.me>

On Fri, 31 May 2024 11:20:53 -0000 (UTC), Phil Hobbs

>john larkin <jl@650pot.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 31 May 2024 00:12:30 -0000 (UTC), Phil Hobbs
>> <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote:

>>> Yes, some LEDs are much faster than others.
>>>
>>> We sell a LED-based pulsed light source that has <6 ns rise and fall times,
>>> using any  of three part numbers at different wavelengths.
>>>
>>> With a fancy $20 LED, it gets down to 2 ns.
>>>
>>> Speedup caps , reverse bias, and so on do zilch to speed it up.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Phil Hobbs
>>
>> Why are IR LEDs so much faster? A 10 GBPS SFP transceiver module costs
>> $16 from Amazon (with Prime free shipping!)
>>

>Those are lasers. The carrier dynamics of a laser running above threshold
>are dominated by radiative recombination, which is much quicker.
>
>Lasers are also designed to avoid the horrible diffusion delay of most
>LEDs—lower doping, thinner epi, and so on.

I have noticed that the capacitances of LEDs vary all over the place,
like 50:1.