Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<503bf530af58f5cc1d906cd72cdfcc83@www.novabbs.com>

From: hitlong@yahoo.com (gharnagel)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Subject: Re: The purpose of science
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2024 15:00:33 +0000

Maciej Wozniak wrote:

> It is - right - determining the truth.

yes.

> Just not in the way you think.

And maybe not the way YOU think, either :-)

> Science is setting it, not discovering it.

I disagree, Woz.  Scientists have been dragged
kicking and screaming into relativity.  Einstein
was dragged k&s into QM, etc.

“Relativity and quantum mechanics were not invented because someone
thought it would be a good idea for the universe to obey these rules;
rather, these revolutionary ideas were forced upon us by nature.”
-- Lawrence M. Krauss

> We need a good description of the reality.
> Good - means: optimized. Science is solving
> the puzzle of optimized set of axioms and
> definitions. Or rather - axioms including
> its special form - definitions.

Axioms come after the discovery.  The postulates
of SR came from observation of reality, then
equations were derived, then confirmation by
further observation (results of experiments).