Article <50l7djp70iih6u5ihjatud4tjn8a1jv95t@4ax.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<50l7djp70iih6u5ihjatud4tjn8a1jv95t@4ax.com>

From: John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Higher Education Is Overrated
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2024 09:56:03 +0700
References: <g93ecjtrrifgc697ak5eak0ja6ga0k7282@4ax.com> <hq5ecjtk7j4ootq85ghpmp88vumdc4g7fv@4ax.com> <mldecj1sv9e3me5s0mfnn82sisn75p1835@4ax.com> <u0gecjlktt4p127qm5ud3t15c2dq8urffc@4ax.com> <irMxO.235687$R0t8.139674@fx11.ams4> <9qrfcj93d7aaig8lb0onaudcogvcnt6prk@4ax.com> <%J2zO.993860$MC82.650601@fx17.iad> <afmpcj9kdhok3lfbia6ivcct3s6aou33oo@4ax.com> <z7IzO.52688$jia4.52232@fx18.iad> <g8h7dj5jov9ct1ftkjpsi4jr7fkuomfcv9@4ax.com>

On Sat, 31 Aug 2024 19:15:14 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Aug 2024 16:20:47 GMT, cyclintom <cyclintom@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon Aug 26 12:50:20 2024 Jeff Liebermann  wrote:

>>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_longbow#Training>
>>> "Although the draw weight of a typical English longbow is disputed, it
>>> was at least 81 pounds-force (360 newtons) and possibly more than 130
>>> lbf (600 N). Considerable practice was required to produce the swift
>>> and effective combat shooting required. Skeletons of longbow archers
>>> are recognisably affected, with enlarged left arms and often
>>> osteophytes on left wrists, left shoulders and right fingers."
>
>>Meaning, as usual, I was correct and you rooted arouund for any POSSIBLE esception.
>
>I don't see how what I wrote proves your point.  A little detail
>explaining what you're talking about, would be helpful.  Incidentally,
>nice comma splice between two unrelated comments.  What does my
>searching for contradictory evidence to disprove your claims have to
>do with you be correct?  What I do has no effect on the validity of
>your claims.
>
>>Well, there's no question that people were MUCH smaller in those
>>days and pulling 130 lbs would have been impossible.
>
>So you say.  Got any citations that confirm that 130 lbs pull would be
>impossible for short people?
>
>>I shot long bows and you have done nothing, as usual. You have
>>no idea of what it is like to shoot a long bow.
>
>Got any photos of you and your long bow?  Also, what was the maker and
>model of your alleged long bow?  If you want make amazing claims, a
>little corroboration would be helpful.
>
>I have "done nothing"?  I have an old (1960's vintage) Ben Pearson
>fiberglass bow in excellent condition, except that there's no model
>number marking.  I suspect it might have been either a very early
>model or a prototype.  I bought it when I started college to practice
>for an archery class.  I shoot left handed and the college didn't have
>any appropriate bows.  The measured length when strung matches the
>model 335 but might be an earlier model:
><https://www.archerytalk.com/attachments/ben-pearson-337-04-jpg.4826826/>
><https://cornellpubs.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/6057.jpg>
>It's a little difficult to string, but I managed.  I used my Balanzza
>luggage scale to measure the 25" pull at 35 lbs.  Unfortunately, I
>couldn't find my assortment of arrows.  I'll keep looking.  Photos
>when I find them and the other accessories.
>
>While my bow is not even close to a long bow, it does demonstrate that
>I know a little about bows and archery.  I certainly have no idea what
>it's like to shoot a long bow.

Tommy is a special case :-)

But there are a number of articles, some in living color, regarding
shooting a 100 Lb. pull bow. Most of them seem to be British folk so I
assume that archery is more commonly practiced there then in the U.S.
Perhaps  because English history reaches all the way to the period
when bows and arrows equaled the AR-15 in killing power :-)

Wandering around on the Internet the other day I found a post by our
very own Tom dated 2003. Can you imagine it? Nearly a quarter of a
century of being "a  rude and obnoxious, always carping while offering
no useful information." (as described by Jobst Brandt)
--
Cheers,

John B.