Article <533bf2983f9db1d1451dbc9f18cac513bee74453@i2pn2.org>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<533bf2983f9db1d1451dbc9f18cac513bee74453@i2pn2.org>

From: Richard Damon <richard@damon-family.org>
Newsgroups: sci.logic
Subject: Re: This makes all Analytic(Olcott) truth computable --- True(L,x)
 defined
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2024 22:32:10 -0400
 <v8aqh7$11ivs$1@dont-email.me> <v8cr4g$1gk19$1@dont-email.me>
 <v8dinp$1kii7$1@dont-email.me> <v8hv72$2mmsq$1@dont-email.me>
 <v8iisj$2qetj$1@dont-email.me> <v8kuhb$3d5q8$1@dont-email.me>
 <v8lc7p$3f6vr$2@dont-email.me> <v8naa8$3uo7s$1@dont-email.me>
 <v8nqo7$1n09$1@dont-email.me> <v8sm9o$1gk42$1@dont-email.me>
 <v8t2fl$1ilg6$2@dont-email.me> <v8v97m$2cofk$1@dont-email.me>
 <v8vusp$32fso$16@dont-email.me> <v91p95$3ppav$1@dont-email.me>
 <v92q4f$37e9$1@dont-email.me> <v94l1p$ldq7$1@dont-email.me>
 <v95c2j$p5rb$4@dont-email.me> <v95cke$p5rb$5@dont-email.me>
 <v977fo$gsru$1@dont-email.me> <v97goj$ielu$1@dont-email.me>
 <v9c93e$35sg6$1@dont-email.me> <v9d3k1$3ajip$1@dont-email.me>
 <v9ffpr$3s45o$1@dont-email.me> <v9fkd4$3se8c$1@dont-email.me>
 <v9kg66$tdvb$1@dont-email.me> <v9sopq$2c67u$9@dont-email.me>
 <v9uuf7$2pvc9$1@dont-email.me> <v9veu8$2rjt1$9@dont-email.me>
 <va1r8l$3bkd6$2@dont-email.me> <va27v8$3cvgv$9@dont-email.me>

On 8/20/24 10:07 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 8/20/2024 5:30 AM, Mikko wrote:

>>> By self-evident I do not mean that people can understand it.
>>> I only mean that it is semantically entailed by a set of axioms.
>>> A better term than self-evident is semantic tautology.
>>
>> Which dictionary has that as the first meaning of "self-evident"?
>>

> In epistemology (theory of knowledge), a self-evident
> proposition is a proposition that is known to be true
> by understanding its meaning without proof.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-evidence
>
> I am establishing it as Analytic(Olcott) when I define
> the predicate True(L,x):
>
> Unless expression x has a connection (through a sequence
> of true preserving operations) in system F to its semantic
> meanings expressed in language L of F then x is simply
> untrue in F.
>
> Whenever there is no sequence of truth preserving from
> x or ~x to its meaning in L of F then x has no truth-maker
> in F and x not a truth-bearer in F. We never get to x is
> undecidable in F.

And this is part of your problem, as it isn't applicable to Formal
Systems as they have clearly defined meanings for what is "True" and
what is "Known".

The Formalism of the system gets around the problems that epistemology
tries to handle.

Also, the Analytic/Synthetic distinction doesn't apply to Formal
Systems, as "observation" isn't a source of truth in a Formal System,
only what derives from the rules of the system.

But then, you never really understood what Formal Systems are, and how
they are NOT tied to "the real world" at all, and thus not really
applicable to your idea of truth detecting.