Article <5fa8fjpqcnhi1e661moanf8bqtpc3jrlq6@4ax.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<5fa8fjpqcnhi1e661moanf8bqtpc3jrlq6@4ax.com>

From: Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Extensive article on Rivendell and Grant Petersen
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2024 11:20:46 -0400
References: <vct3ic$2tr2a$1@dont-email.me> <sls4fj914qnt9is0crvsd4dpli978v8ebt@4ax.com> <vcukup$37v5r$5@dont-email.me> <jvl5fjt14puvrscsra3jrjj2lgr22qhhdq@4ax.com> <vcuvih$39ji0$4@dont-email.me> <oq26fjpl0hc62vq4jpe50htdoavd26mcgu@4ax.com> <vcvr4o$3hhf0$1@dont-email.me> <pnQIO.1160654$grz1.912786@fx03.ams4> <msl7fjljviv2kgo3p13hsffga55kjdpsfp@4ax.com> <Q0SIO.2217267$kpic.1696407@fx15.ams4> <hvv7fjt8cvlaq62uknoriusuvdmgr5a6i4@4ax.com> <fnVIO.806338$qP12.292583@fx02.ams4>

On Wed, 25 Sep 2024 14:46:35 GMT, Roger Merriman <roger@sarlet.com>
wrote:

>Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, 25 Sep 2024 10:57:52 GMT, Roger Merriman <roger@sarlet.com>
>> wrote:

>>> That?s really hard to see how, you?ve mentioned that the trike pitches
>>> which suggests that its weight is quite forward.
>>
>> Indeed it does pitch forward. It's easy to lift the rear tire off the
>> road, however, the center of gravity of me on the Catrike compared to
>> someone on a two wheeler is much lower. LIfting the rear wheel of the
>> ground still requires a lot of braking force.
>
>Lifting the rear wheel on the MTB in position ie off the rear wheel Is not
>easy at all, if it’s more of emergency brake the rear wheel might lock if
>I’m not in position in position your not lifting the rear wheel on flat
>ground.
>
>Even my gravel bike tipping forward isn’t particularly an issue if I can
>get in position and if not it’s more likely to lock the rear than lift it.
>
>My old commute bike with a lot of rear weight even on an emergency stop
>your not going to lift it at worse it will lock.
>
>The weight being low isn’t the issue it’s the weight forward/rear and that
>your weight is static.
>>
>>> Note that cable disks are by some margin less powerful than hydraulic
>>> systems, ie even a fairly modest cheap twin pot is going to be many times
>>> more powerful, let alone 4 pots and so on.
>>
>> I really don't understand the issue of more powerful brakes. I changed
>> my Avid bb7s from long pull to short pull and I still have to back the
>> calipers off so as to not lock up the brakes at high speeds. The
>> brakes are perfectly capable of slamming the chain rings into the
>> ground and pitching 205 lb me out on my face. I've heard of people who
>> have had that experience. One on a Catrike 700 with an even lower
>> center of gravity than my Expedition.
>
>That’s all to do with the CatTrike Geometry ie it’s weight forward so it’s
>limited by its pitching, that doesn’t make the cable disks powerful just
>that the geometry limits the trikes braking, I have had bikes with cable
>disks a few different models in fact, powerful they are not, about the same
>as rim brake bike.
>>
>>> I run Magic Mary?s at 2.40 they are soft and gummy tires and on tarmac they
>>> are effectively glued to it! Even with that 6ft at 15MPH seems ambitious!
>>
>> I use road tires, of course. 40MM at 70/80 psi. I suspect my tires are
>> glued to the road better than your knobby MTB tires.
>
>Not a chance, Marathons are designed for touring and commuting get many
>thousands of miles out of those, compounded with higher pressures, my
>Gravel bike with similar sized tires but half the pressure and more volume
>and softer rubber and so on. Is likely to be a better at this.
>
>Let alone the MTB with soft sticky rubber much more volume 700*64 is a lot
>of air a frame that allows one to get off the back its geometry etc, ie I
>can if break to the limits of the tires for that reason.

> [...]

Do you really believe that a lower center of gravity does not make a
bike more stable?

--
C'est bon