Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<5gsa8jh87fuqhj0ks94m3p3t0t7imiin60@4ax.com>

From: john larkin <jlarkin_highland_tech>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: hobby electronics
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2024 08:49:17 -0700

On Wed, 03 Jul 2024 12:20:30 GMT, Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid>
wrote:

>On a sunny day (Wed, 3 Jul 2024 10:30:39 +0100) it happened Martin Brown
><'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote in <v635o1$24goj$1@dont-email.me>:
>
>>On 02/07/2024 17:28, john larkin wrote:
>>>
>>> It's my opinion that there are few hobbyists that really work with
>>> parts and make circuits, and most EE grads are EE/CE dual majors that
>>> code more than they solder, and don't have instincts for electricity.
>>
>>There are still a few, but it has become a very minority interest today.
>>Partly because everything is so heavily integrated and surface mount.
>>
>>When I grew up you could get dead ICL 1900 boards full of TTL chips for
>>and bags dross coated transistors at start of line for pennies. Today
>>there is no equivalent source of cheap easily reused parts.
>>
>>Back then there were also electronic kits for build your own computer etc.
>>
>>A lot of it today is plugging new mass produced modules together.
>>Raspberry Pi has done a lot for that and to encourage electronics
>>hobbyists though so it isn't all bad news.
>>>
>>> Here's a youtube on the subject:
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLnolhyT5SI
>>>
>>> Some of these guys blame surface mount, which seems wrong to me. There
>>> are lots of thru-hole parts and parts kits around.
>>
>>Surface mount has rendered modern kit all but impossible for the home
>>user to repair.
>
>No, its even easier than say resistors with wires through holes
>While back I replaced a surface mount resistor in a digital mulimeter.
>It had evaporated.
>The difficult part was guessing the value from the other surface mount resistors around it.
>SMDs are easy to unsolder and remove and replace.
>

>>I cut my teeth mending transistor car radios back when
>>chassis earth was chosen randomly by each car manufacturer to be either
>>positive or negative and people blew up their brand new car radios.
>>
>>The other big earner was mending teenage wannabe rock stars amplifiers
>>that had their output transistors fried or a pint of beer in them.
>
>In those early sixties I designed and build a tube amplifier for the high school band,
>years later I got a call from the guitarist who really liked the sound
>if I could make some special effects stuff...
>I grew up with tubes and 78 rpm records ..
>

>>> I'd like to hire a few kids who love component-level electronics, but
>>> they are hard to find.
>>
>>Go looking at maker-spaces or whatever they are called in the US. Most
>>of them will be trying to make electric guitars but they will be showing
>>at least some skills with small pickup coils and low noise amplifiers.
>>
>>Back in my day a lot of our physics practicals were essentially
>>electronics based - characteristics of a FET, various oscillators and a
>>substantial digital electronics and logic course with a finishing test
>>of making a digital dice (it may still be the same course even now).
>>
>>I'm pretty sure the previous generation did the same experiments on
>>thermionic valves and relays but that was discontinued on H&S grounds.

> [...]

Yikes, blast from the past.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/ryder-amps-cabs-from-the60s.663614/

I designed the signal path of the Ryder amps, including the "bell
tone" circuit, sort of an amplitude-adaptive harmonic adder.

The amp was named for Frank Ryder, mostly because someone liked the
name.