Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<5iadnW-7MamczI37nZ2dnZfqn_YAAAAA@giganews.com>

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.reality
Subject: Re: Imprisoned Reality Star Todd Chrisley Slandered Georgia
 Revenue Agent, Must Pay Her $755,000, Jury Finds
From: BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2024 19:29:05 +0000

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> Former reality TV star Todd Chrisley – who is already in prison for financial
> crimes – was just ordered by a federal jury to pay a Georgia Department of
> Revenue (GDOR) agent hundreds of thousands of dollars for defamation.
>
> DOR investigator Amy Doherty-Heinze claimed in court documents that Chrisley
> “began a social media campaign against the GDOR and certain of its employees,
> contending that the investigation was illegal and improperly motivated,”
> according to documents obtained by WSB-TV. Chrisley “began attacking” the
> agent, “accusing her of a multitude of crimes and wrongdoing.”
>
> On Thursday, a federal jury determined Chrisley was responsible for libeling
> and slandering Doherty-Heinze, and ordered him to pay the agent $350,000 in
> compensatory damages and $170,000 in punitive damages, in addition to
> attorney’s fees. In total, Chrisley now owes Doherty-Heinze around $755,000.

As long as the award was for defamatory things Chrisley said directly about
the woman, okay, but not for what he said about the GDOR. First, since when
can government agencies even be defamed in the first place? Second, it's
our 1st Amendment right to say whatever shit we like about the government.
And third, we're getting dangerously close to being liable for defamation
merely for saying "I didn't do it" in response to an accusation or
maintaining your innocence after a conviction because it implies that your
calling your accuser a liar.