Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<5lhldkxvq1.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

From: "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Full video of ship hitting and destroying the Francis Scott Key
 bridge in Baltimore
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 14:45:41 +0100

On 2024-03-29 14:39, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 29/03/2024 12:59, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On 2024-03-29 12:50, Don Y wrote:
>>
>>> That.  Esp when it comes to commercial vessels, the "rules of the road"
>>> (river?) implicitly acknowledge this in that the stand on vessel is
>>> almost
>>> always the one that is least able to make quick changes to its course or
>>> progress.
>>
>> Why was the operation done without tow boats, was that customary?
>
> Tow boats charge for their time. Most commercial shipping dispenses with
> them as soon as it is practical to do so. In that comparatively wide
> channel there was no reason why they should have been under tow by tugs.

Obviously a mistake.

The decision to use a tow boat or not should not be up to them.

> Main engine total failure is comparatively unusual these days. Although
> UK Type 45 destroyers combine engines that sound like a bag of spanners
> with a nasty tendency to overheat and fail completely when used in the
> Middle East. Dead in the water with no propulsion or main system power.

I feel there will be more failures- It comes from subcontracting and
generally lowering costs and regulations.

> https://www.navylookout.com/cure-for-royal-navy-destroyers-engine-woes-in-sight/
>
>> Where I live, we barely avoided a sea oil catastrophe about a month
>> ago. A sea tanker ship (Front Siena) was approaching harbour without
>> requesting a pilot, not contacting, and not responding to radio. And
>> on a collision course to the rocks.
>
> But in this instance there *were* local pilots on board the vessel and
> presumably in charge of it. Only when the black box is analysed will it
> become clear exactly what happened, but failure of the main engines and
> its generator looks like a candidate. It is also possible that the
> backup systems misfired or failed to work when needed. It is odd that
> the thing went entirely dark due to power loss - most vessels have at
> least some emergency lighting that is self contained and independent.
>
> It is incredibly dark at night on the open seas (unless there is a moon)
> so backup lighting is important.

Yeah, quite strange that crucial lights did not have battery backup.

>> The pilot made haste, boarded the ship unaided and in the dark, all
>> deck lights off. When he reached the bridge, there were 7 people there
>> just chatting. He was offered a coffee; instead he started roaring
>> orders. Reverse engines top speed, two tow boats pushing, anchor
>> dropped. Stopped one mile from the rocks (more or less, from memory).
>>
>> Ship fined.
>>
>> Spanish link with AIS route map
>> <https://www.naucher.com/la-penosa-historia-del-petrolero-front-siena-y-su-tripulacion-negligente/>
>
> Much less exciting here in the UK most ships obey the rules.

This is a first, nobody seems to remember anything similar.

About half of the crew was instantly fired, including the captain and
the second in command.

The article comments on the lower quality of international crews in general.

--
Cheers, Carlos.