Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<5vlf4jpk86ggkk46ifi0uq70gilbnvafgb@4ax.com>

From: John Larkin <jjSNIPlarkin@highNONOlandtechnology.com>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Copper can't be mined fast enough to electrify the US
Date: Fri, 17 May 2024 15:27:57 -0700

On Fri, 17 May 2024 17:15:38 -0400, Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Fri, 17 May 2024 09:36:37 -0700, John Larkin
><jjSNIPlarkin@highNONOlandtechnology.com> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 17 May 2024 05:04:00 GMT, Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Copper can't be mined fast enough to electrify the US
>>> https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/05/240515164309.htm
>>>Source:
>>> University of Michigan
>>> to transition the country's electricity and vehicle infrastructure to renewable energy,
>>> according to a new study.
>>>
>>>OK, alternatives:
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind-powered_vehicle
>>>?
>>>

>>At least it dosn't need air conditioning.
>>
>>Car power, worst to best, roughly:
>>
>>Rubber bands.
>>Springs.
>>Animals (humans included).
>>Sails.
>>Compressed gas.
>>Steam engines.
>>Solar cells.
>>Batteries.
>>Electric trolleys.
>>Cable cars.
>>Funiculars.
>>Fuel cells.
>>Gasoline turbines.
>>Coal dust turbines.
>>Hydrogen turbines.
>>Gasoline piston engines.
>>
>>Did I miss any?
>
>Vacuum on one side of a tunnel, air on the other side, car in middle.

That's Boring!

>Linear electric motor with stator in roadbed and "rotor" in the car.
>Often combined with magnetic levitation ion a monorail setup.
>
>Stretching the definition of Car, big rockets powered by burning
>liquid Methane and liquid Oxygen?

There have been rocket-powered drag racers. Jets, too.

I built a model car that was pusher propeller-driven with a model
airplane engine. I think the fuel was mostly alcohol.

We also strapped one of those cartrige rocket motors to a model car.

>>The battery thing may have peaked. Manufacturers are leasing underused
>>parking lots and airports to store unsold cars.
>
>Yes.  Hybrids are what will survive, if anything  Various friends have
>asked me about EVs, and I always warn them away from pure BEVs,
>because with a BEV one spends far too much time dealing with keeping
>it charged up.  (Not to mention dealing with the possibility of
>burning the house down.)  So far, they have all gone with hybrids.
>
>Pure BEVs can make sense for local delivery vans; this was the
>original use, in the days of Edison.

Teslas may have a limited fan base, like Miatas and PT Cruisers and
DeLorean and those hideous Honda box things. Fads. The ugly Tesla
truck for sure.