Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<6113015d-b7a3-4ba7-aa6f-b1475d594a3bn@googlegroups.com>

From: db <dieterhansbritz@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.text.pdf
Subject: Re: pdf grep?
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 15:19:24 -0000 (UTC)

On 3 Apr 2024 14:29:40 GMT, Stefan Ram wrote:

> ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) wrote or quoted:
>>Text in PDFs is sometimes compressed. So one can either use programs
>>like "Agent Ransack" to search for text in PDFs or tools like
>>"pdftotext" to first create a text file for every PDF file and then grep
>>those text files.
>
>   PS: "Agent Ransack" is Windows software. "pdftotext" is also available
>   for Linux. Converting all PDFs to text files needs to be done only
>   once, and then search operations on those text files are faster than
>   scanning the PDF files for text on every search!

I should maybe have elaborated a bit. Sometimes I
remember a certain phrase or word but forget which
pdf it is in. With text files I can do
grep blabla *.txt
and I wanted an equivalent. Using pdftotext would
mean using it for every suspect pdf. Since a lot of
pdf files are searchable, I figured that such a
command might exist.
But if there really is a pdfgrep command, that might
do the job. I will do some googling, thanks.