Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<63mj7j50kltstqvsbotgp8c2mrkfpql6ee@4ax.com>

From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: OT: Kids got an E-scooter?
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2024 16:39:17 -0400

On Mon, 24 Jun 2024 07:28:09 -0700, john larkin <jl@650pot.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Jun 2024 10:06:31 -0400, Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 22 Jun 2024 16:58:40 -0700, john larkin <jl@650pot.com> wrote:

>>>If it ignites, it would burn through a steel lunchbox.
>>
>>Yeah.  A lithium BEV fire has no problem melting the girders of a big
>>parking facility, collapsing same.
>>
>>But there is also a building Code problem on exhibit.  In Baltimore,
>>where row houses are very common, it used to be that the wall between
>>adjacent was just an ordinary wall, so if a fire started in one unit,
>>the whole row would burn to the ground.
>>
>>So, the Building Code was changed to require a double-thickness
>>masonry (brick usually) wall between units.  This almost worked, but
>>the brick wall stopped at the top of the rooms below the attic, which
>>was still in common.  So, fires still spread to the whole row, only
>>slightly less quickly.
>>
>>The Building Code was again updated, now to require that the wall
>>extend a foot or two above the roof (which was sloped flat).  Success
>>at last.
>>
>>Units now burned independently of one another, and the Insurance
>>Companies stopped threatening to exclude most of the housing in
>>Baltimore from house insurance.
>>
>>I wonder why the UK didn't learn this bit of history.  Maybe those
>>units were grandfathered in.
>>
>>Joe Gwinn
>
>I can walk my whole block on the flat roofs. There is zero gap between
>houses, and the standard lot is 24 feet wide.
>
>https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/l0cbx3kx0fx9m6scvj5pj/Roof_Lake_1.jpg?rlkey=m0yl1wnvw6oy69pkferilltcn&raw=1
>
>It's thermally great; only two houses on the block have sideways heat
>loss, and even that is half normal.

This works with brick as well.

>The walls (of new stuff) are fire-resistant drywall, and there is a
>foot or so vertical extention between roofs like you describe. And we
>have a lot of firestations and firefighters. There are TWO San
>Francisco Firefighter Cookbooks.

The drywall would need to be pretty thick to be adequate.

>When I go to Safeway in the morning, there are commonly one or two
>fire trucks parked ouside and the big macho uniformed firefighters are
>inside having heated debates about which kind of onions to buy.

I'd guess that the real reason is that bricks were cheap and available
in Maryland, but not so much in California, where they use wood for
roofs as well.

The style in Maryland is marble and red brick, not wood.  In the dense
cities, wood is forbidden because it keeps igniting.

Joe Gwinn