Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<6449818651.785da3d8@uninhabited.net>

From: Roger Hayter <roger@hayter.org>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: Re (2): USB functionality.
Date: 12 Mar 2024 17:28:18 GMT

On 12 Mar 2024 at 16:29:31 GMT, "peter@easthope.ca" <peter@easthope.ca> wrote:

> In article <2219572717.2fe80b82@uninhabited.net>, Roger Hayter
> <roger@hayter.org> wrote:
>> But can even USB-C accept a signal input (keyboard and mouse for
>> instance) and unrelated signal output (audio for instance) on the
>> same physical socket? I ask only out of curiosity.
>
> The setup is rarely tried.  Appears that nobody can reply.
>
> A keyboard or mouse sends tiny amounts of data; a few bytes per
> second. In principle the link should be able to fit that in without
> significant drop-outs in audio output.  WIth so many details involved,
> a general answer is difficult. When all else fails, we can test and
> see what happens.  =8~)
>
> Regards,             ... P.

So you could use an overarching protocol which was bilateral (ethernet
anyone?) and send and separate messages both ways.  What I was aksing was
whether within the USB protocol there was provision for using some pins in for
one electrical signal (bi or uni-directional) and other pins for another
electrical signal. Because that would be the only way to do it without special
software on at least one of the devices.

--
Roger Hayter