Article <65ef9070$0$2137429$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<65ef9070$0$2137429$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 19:14:58 -0400
Subject: Re: This FOSS Thang :-)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: DFS <nospam@dfs.com>

On 3/11/2024 7:00 PM, Physfitfreak wrote:

> Money in the software business is never an issue for the customer. If
> they do what they're supposed to do, and nothing more than that, openly
> or subterraneanly, the money paid is well, well, well worth it. So this
> "FOSS" thing everybody here is pro or con about, should really be just
> "OSS". The issue, always, is the _abuse_ that the user experiences in
> using them.
>
> As far as the OS is concerned, Windows OS is an abusive product. It is
> not so because you have to pay for it. It is certainly so because it
> abuses the users in multiple, different ways. Furthermore, it does so
> deliberately. Therefore, this is not just the nuisance involved. Yes,
> forced lengthy and time-consuming updates are bothersome, but that's not
> the big problem. Problem is that (for instance) they _deliberately_
> remove all your modifications and adjustments that you had spent time to
> create, each time such updates are made, if any of them prevents them to
> subject the user to commercials.
>
> Say, this "Edge" thingy. They force it on you certainly for a reason :)
> I have no doubt, the Edge running in the background without even your
> knowledge is collecting and selling your behavior to a myriad of
> commercial companies.
>
> They're crooks.
>
> Using the users' paid-for equipment to make money by selling user
> information without permission, and without sharing the revenue thus
> made with them, is simply theft. So it is abuse.
>
> Microsoft owes each user millions of dollars, for ruining their time,
> and using their equipments without their permission, to make money.
>
> They're crooks!

blah blah blah

Got a shred of evidence MS is selling your personal info without your
knowledge or permission?  Of course you don't.

And don't forget you agreed to the End User License Agreement when you
installed Windows or booted your machine the first time.

That EULA for Win11 includes:

"3   Privacy; Consent to Use of Data. Your privacy is important to us.
Some of the software features send or receive information when using
those features. Many of these features can be switched off in the user
interface, or you can choose not to use them. By accepting this
agreement and using the software you agree that Microsoft may collect,
use, and disclose the information as described in the Microsoft Privacy
Statement at https://aka.ms/privacy, and as may be described in the user
interface associated with the software features.

C:\Windows\System32\license.rtf

https://aka.ms/privacy points to
https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement

Got it, Sandy?

> So what is this Linux then.
>
> Linux, for me, and perhaps only in my imagination, gives the promise
> that if I'm careful with it, it won't abuse me. But I'd be damned if I
> trust that :)
>
> Haven't started it yet, but after I seriously begin using Linux, if it
> turns out relatively non-abusive, I may even pay a reasonable price for
> using it (donation or something). But if it pans out to be abusive to
> me, which it might, then there's really no difference between Windows
> and Linux.
>
> Who's certain these Linux OS's of yours aren't selling information about
> you to commercial companies? They certainly do so for the NSA, this much
> is proven. So why not to commercial companies as well?

NSA buys personal info on Linux users?  Sez who?