Article <65fea3f3$0$2999$426a74cc@news.free.fr>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<65fea3f3$0$2999$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: =?UTF-8?Q?St=C3=A9phane?= CARPENTIER <sc@fiat-linux.fr>
Subject: Re: This FOSS Thang :-)
Date: 23 Mar 2024 09:42:11 GMT

Le 19-03-2024, -hh <recscuba_google@huntzinger.com> a écrit :
> On 3/17/24 5:24 AM, Stéphane CARPENTIER wrote:
>> Le 17-03-2024, vallor <vallor@cultnix.org> a écrit :

>>> So who is doing that?
>>
>> FR/LP/NV/DG/whatever. He's the only one. He's not a representative Linux
>> user. He's a Windows advocate trying to make Linux users passing for
>> fools. It looks like some take the bait.
>>

> Nah, feeb's not the only one, because there's others who have taken
> exception to my comment.  Feel free to review every direct reply,
> especially your own.

I replied to the parts which interested me, as I said, you changed the
subject. You answered to something else.

I don't pass hours and hours to just have something barely working. I
pass minutes to have something really better in the long run. Which is
not the same as what you said, so it doesn't apply to me even if you
disagree. Which means that save me hours on the long run, because the
time is adding in both ways.

It's the same for your links about the processes. I didn't read the
content because I have better things to to. I read the abstract and it's
clear you compare the way some processes are harmonised in companies
with the way some tools are adapted on personal computers. Two
different things. You believe it's the same, good for you: it's not and
I don't care what you believe when you change the subjects.

For your need of a citation, I really don't see how some citation can
support my claim that I'm able to adapt my tools better than the
defaults. I can see it by myself, it's easy.

For example, if I want to open a pdf file.

My way: I press [Windows]+[z], my pdf files are displayed in wofi. I
type some letters of its name, when it's selected I press [Enter] and my
pdf file is opened in zathura.

Microsoft/Apple way: I need to open the file manager. I need to find the
directory in which my file is stored. I need to find the file in the
directory. I need to open it. I need to close the file manager.

I can see by myself that I'm faster with my way than with the way
provided by Apple/Microsoft. I never tried Apple but it's the same way
as the Microsoft way, so I know I would be slower using a Mac.

In my way, the information comes to me. In Microsoft/Apple way, I need
to look for the information. That's a huge difference. I saves me a few
seconds each time I'm opening a pdf file, and that's a lot of times. So
the few seconds add up very fast. At least one or two minutes each
day. So, in years, it's really hours saved. For a few minutes
configuration. Really, only one line in my config file:

 bindsym $mod+z exec find ~ \( -path ~/Download\* -o -path ~/divers\* -o -path ~/Lecture/Pdf/ALire/\*  \) -a \( -name "*.pdf" -o -name "*.ps" -o -name "*.epub" \) 2>/dev/null | wofi -d | xargs -r -I % zathura "%"

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io