Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<662bffdf$0$8488$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 15:26:23 -0400
Subject: Re: OT: central limit theorem
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: bitrex <user@example.net>

On 4/26/2024 3:10 PM, Don Y wrote:
> On 4/26/2024 11:46 AM, bitrex wrote:
>> I have one of these inexpensive Ikea bookshelves for storing some of my
>> electronics books:
>>
>> <https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/laiva-bookcase-black-brown-40178591/>
>>
>> I noticed the center shelf was starting to sag a few degrees. :( The
>> assembly manual specifies a weight limit of 33 lbs evenly distributed
>> which seemed like an oddly specific number. So I weighed the books on
>> the shelves, which aren't particularly well organized other than to
>> fully fill the available space widthwise on each shelf.
>>
>> A random assortment of hardbacks and paperbacks, some are tall and
>> skinny, some are short and fat. And each shelf was clocking in at 33
>> lbs +/- 2 lbs.
>>
>> So I guess a heuristic for filling these shelves is just fill 'em up
>> then remove the heaviest book, and de-rate the center shelf by maybe
>> 5- 10 lbs because it's unsupported by a backing.
>
> Smarter move is to buy all of your texts in electronic form, before you
> end up with a shitload of dead trees!
>
> When I moved here (~30 yrs), I had some 80 "Xerox Paper" cartons full
> of paperbacks -- not counting "text books".  (I read ~500pp/wk)  Take
> a moment to think of that volume (let alone MASS!).
>
> I eventually scanned everything with a Perfect Binding and now fit those
> same books on a single microSD card (in a Nook; PDFs on a 12" tablet).

PDFs are a dreadful format! Maybe there's a high-end e-ink that
processes them effectively but they look like shit on the cheaper ones
like most of the Kindles with e-ink displays.

I hate reading on an LCD I stare into an LCD half the live long day
anyway, blech.

> The "hard back" texts are a lot harder to "process" but are suffering the
> same fate.  I wouldn't wish the task of MOVING (or disposing!) the
> dead tree collection on my worst enemy...

Gotta enforce a one book in, one book out rule man. I've never lived on
my own in a residence spacious enough that I had the luxury of just
stockpiling tons of stuff in case it might come in handy someday. I
don't have an attic, garage, or basement!