Article <66349622@news.ausics.net>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<66349622@news.ausics.net>

From: Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid>
Subject: Re: Linux doesn't seem to manage memory very well
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 3 May 2024 17:45:38 +1000

The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 03/05/2024 00:23, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>> I run current Firefox on a PC with 2GB RAM
>> and I don't have it getting killed by the kernel, nor do I have
>> problems with kernel crashes/reboots. I've also tried running
>> recent Firefox on a PC with 512MB RAM and noticed that it performs
>> much worse than with 2GB RAM, slowing down to a crawl while loading
>> some websites, suggesting that it really does need more RAM in that
>> case.
>>
>> I don't use web browsers to play video. If you're streaming super
>> high resolution video through your browser with the latest and
>> greatest compression algorithms, then it probably has the right
>> to chew up a lot of RAM.
>>
> I use browsers to play videos. RAM usage is not massive. CPU usage is.

Perhaps RAM usage isn't that great on the scale of systems with tens
of GB of RAM. Compared to 2GB I think it may be significant because
when I tried to transcode a 1920x1080 video in AV1 format to
lower-res MPEG4 on a VPS with 1GB RAM + 1GB swap space, ffmpeg
(v. 4) surprised me by running out of RAM. Of course it could be a
bug in that decoder, but not having tackled much AV1 video before I
concluded that high resolutions plus modern video codecs requires
lots of RAM.

> What chews memory are *commercial* websites loaded with (deliberately)
> buggy javaScript that cause javaScript engines to go into meltdown. How
> that is handled is browser dependent.
>
> Ublock Origin helps massively, but is not a complete answer.
> What is a massive help at leats in Mint Mate is the System Monitor
> widget that I keep in the task bar permanently displaying CPU, RAM and
> Network usage as teeny graphs.
> It is very easy to see when memory is all grabbed by a process rather
> than simply cache
> And monitor how much gets released when you close a website page.

There's also about:performance in Firefox. I do use NoScript with
all my browsing in Firefox.

--