Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<66351331$0$2363140$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

Date: Fri, 3 May 2024 12:39:10 -0400
Subject: Re: My 138 $ Amazon order ( for 6pm today ).
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch>

On 2024-05-03 11:31 a.m., DFS wrote:
> On 5/3/2024 8:05 AM, Andrzej Matuch wrote:
>
>> The mere fact that it is no longer possible to install Windows without
>> being forced to enter a Microsoft account speaks volumes about where
>> the tech world is going.
>
> After installing Win11 (and being forced to use an MS account), you can
> reverse that at any time and go back to booting with a local account.
>
> When I installed, I used a 24-year-old anonymous MS hotmail account, and
> the main user profile was created with the first 5 letters of that
> account.  So instead of C:\Users\DFS  it was C:\Users\everm.
>
> Reversing it was a bit of a hassle, but now it's C:\Users\DFS and I
> don't login with the MS account.  That's not gonna stop MS from
> collecting the telemetry data you agreed to let them collect, of course.
>
> It's just ridiculous.  Not that it's any consolation, but I hear Apple
> is much worse.

They're both bad and using open-source projects like Linux or Haiku are
the only solution. They want to give us something for "free," but they
want all of our private data in exchange. Some don't care because they
feel that their lives are so boring that there is nothing for them to
hide, but they don't realize that those boring details can and will be
used against them if ever they are on the radar of any authority who
doesn't like what they stand for.

--
Andrzej (Andre) Matuch
TG: @AndrzejMatuch