Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<663b88b0$2$1258325$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

Date: Wed, 8 May 2024 10:14:09 -0400
From: DFS <nospam@dfs.com>
Subject: Re: My 138 $ Amazon order ( for 6pm today ).
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

On 5/3/2024 5:05 AM, Andrzej Matuch wrote:

> The mere fact that it is no longer possible to install Windows without
> being forced to enter a Microsoft account speaks volumes about where the
> tech world is going.

I also thought that was true (as of Win11), but I found out it's not.

Last night I screwed up my Win11 Pro install, bad, by stopping the wrong
services.  Had no system restore points, so ended up reinstalling.

During the reinstall, instead of choosing 'This PC will be used at home'
or whatever it says, choose the other option 'To be used at work'.

Then you don't have to enter a MS email - you can use whatever
email/domain you want to continue the install.

Problem solved!

But it caused a new problem:  under Windows Security | Virus & threat
protection it said 'Action needed'.  When I clicked, it said to contact
the IT Adminstrator for your company.

Googled and found this solution:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/1367032/in-my-windows-11-virus-and-threat-protection-missi

Add a simple Registry key and it's fixed.

https://imgur.com/a/G7HZ7Lm

This is less trouble than using an MS email to install, then going back
and changing your user profile (because the user profile is named with
the first 5 letters of the MS email acct).