Article <663cf111$1$3711192$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<663cf111$1$3711192$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

From: Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch>
Subject: Re: Un-bunch-u!
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 09 May 2024 15:51:45 GMT

On Thu, 09 May 2024 15:20:11 +0000, candycanearter07 wrote:

> Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com> wrote at 18:38 this Wednesday (GMT):
>> candycanearter07 <candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid>
>> wrote:

>>>I thought S mode was trying to tap into the chromebook market.
>>

>> I was joking, using their S mode is trading liberty for safety, not an
>> option for any kind of serious user.  It probably would be a difficult
>> environment for malware to take hold in, though.
>

> I'm sure they could. Look at Apple, for instance.

I guess I missed a conversation about Windows S. Windows S was a great
idea for many reasons such as 1) security (since only verified software
from the Store could be installed), 2) battery life (since the apps
available in the store at the time were developed to be lightweight) and
3) cost (since the lightweight software could be run on more modest
hardware). The problem is that no software of worth was or is available in
the Windows Store. Microsoft did a poor job of enticing developers to
program for the new, "modern" format when the traditional one worked. It
didn't matter to them that their software would be available to a greater
amount of customers.