Article <663e0d28$0$3711195$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<663e0d28$0$3711195$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

From: Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch>
Subject: Re: Windows victims: go ahead and pretend you don't want or need
 the greatest PC software available
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 10 May 2024 12:03:52 GMT

On Fri, 10 May 2024 05:42:15 +0000, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> On 09 May 2024 12:12:21 GMT, Andrzej Matuch wrote:
>
>> The advantage of using a web app for my e-mail provider (Posteo), is
>> that I can create filters directly on the account rather than within a
>> program.
>
> I would want something I can backup and restore, transfer to some other
> system etc. Something under my control, not stuck on somebody else’s
> server.

It's called POP3, and the server supports that. In fact, the entirety of
Posteo is open-source and the service was recommended by the Free Software
Foundation when I signed up for it.

> On Linux, many GUI programs save their user prefs in text files, which
> are easy to manage in this way.

And if an update goes wrong and locks you out of your system, it also
locks you out of those preferences. If you can fix the system and restore
everything, that's fine. A lot of us prefer to keep it on the cloud in
case of a disaster, or simply because we want to have access to the same
data through a variety of computers.