Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<663e8810$0$7507$426a34cc@news.free.fr>

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: =?UTF-8?Q?St=C3=A9phane?= CARPENTIER <sc@fiat-linux.fr>
Subject: Re: Find "py.exe" & copy it to "Python" (flat, no extension).
Date: 10 May 2024 20:48:16 GMT

Le 10-05-2024, Farley Flud <ff@linux.rocks> a écrit :
> On 10 May 2024 18:26:34 GMT, Stéphane CARPENTIER wrote:
>
>> Even FR/LP/DG/NV/whatever has five python versions
>> installed on his Gentoo distro.
>
> Hey ignoramus.
>
> In the GNU/Linux world it is VERY COMMON to have several
> versions of a program installed.

Yes, for a python programmer, it's useful to have many python versions
installed. But for someone who despised python, there is no reason to
have more versions than required.

> Of course, not all versions are active.  Only one is selected.
>
> For example, on Gentoo, the "eselect" command is used:
>
> [~]# eselect python list

What the fuck? If you have many versions installed at the same time, you
need to be able to use two of them at the same time. If you don't, it's
useless. The programmer needs to be able to chose is version when the OS
is using another version at the same time.

> Available Python interpreters, in order of preference:
>   [1]   python3.11
>   [2]   python3.12
>   [3]   python2.7
>
> I only have THREE python versions with 3.11 being active.

OK. So, three things about it.

First, it's great, you managed to remove two of your five versions since
the last time you provided the list. I'm not sure you did it on purpose
of if it was a side effect of something else.

Second, I have no need for three version of python because I don't
program python, so the version used by my distro is enough. But I know
why you need three versions of python on Gentoo. Do you?

Third, what is the version 2.7 for? It's deprecated and removed from any
distro since years. A python programmer maintaining legacy code can need
it, but an up to date distro don't need it. So as you need three version
of python for Gentoo and one of your versions is useless, I'm not sure
you have the three needed versions and my question is more valid: do you
know why you need three versions of python for Gentoo?

> So please shut the fuck

I do what I want. As always.

> up unless you know EXACTLY what you are talking about (and you rarely
> do).

To argue with you, I don't need to know a lot, I just need to know more
than you. Which is very easy. Even without using Gentoo, I know why you
need three versions of python. Do you? I'm quite confident you don't
because you don't have the right need versions.

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io