Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<663f5f34$0$2422117$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

From: Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch>
Subject: Re: OT: Microsoft Office 2021 Professional Plus for $15 USD
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 11 May 2024 12:06:12 GMT

On Sat, 11 May 2024 07:30:40 +0000, RonB wrote:

> On 2024-05-10, Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch> wrote:

>>> I passed it on to my wife. I don't know what version of Microsoft
>>> Office she's using now. (She might already be using 2021.)
>>
>> Had I not gotten the Office 2021 I have now at a significant rebate
>> ($40 USD or so), I would probably be using the free Office 365
>> subscription my job affords me. LibreOffice does the job for me, but if
>> I ever make a document for the kids (in DOCX since they don't know
>> anything else), there are always formatting issues. The Teams version
>> of Office they use always seems to have problems with anything made in
>> LibreOffice.
>
> I'll have to take your word for it. I rarely use standard word
> processors now. No real need. Most of my writing is done in an editor.
> Reminds me of WordStar in DOS (where I learned word processing) — and
> Jstar uses the same keystrokes.
>
> I can, however, convert to any format in TextMaker when I need to.

In reality, absolutely nothing I do requires a real word processor anyway.
I'm only using one because that's what's necessary to share files. In
reality, unless I absolutely need something to check my grammar, even
WordPad would do. Sometimes my documents are shown on a big screen, and I
need to make the font bigger, so something that can enlarge the fonts
would be necessary. That's about it.

Otherwise, I use a word processor to make a modifiable document of my work
schedule. It's a simple table in which I can enter and edit blocks to
write where I am supposed to do and at what time. I imagine WordPad can
make tables too.

Honestly, it seems like WordPad is way more than enough for most people.
It's too bad they're removing it from Windows.