Article <66400c90$0$7171$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<66400c90$0$7171$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

From: Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch>
Subject: Re: Windows victims: go ahead and pretend you don't want or need
 the greatest PC software available
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 12 May 2024 00:25:52 GMT

On Sat, 11 May 2024 14:16:18 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Andrzej Matuch wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

>>> I don't admit it. And I don't like the Windows "aesthetic." I do find
>>> it a bit amusing that Windows' users simultaneously claim that 1)
>>> Linux copies the Windows desktop and 2) It has a dated interface.
>>
>> Both are true, 1) Linux indeed copies features and aesthetics of both
>> Windows and Mac OS but 2) does a very poor job of getting it right, in
>> my cases. The lack of consistency is very noticeable, and you'll have
>> something like the default desktop of Ubuntu which looks incredible...
>> until you open up a program which doesn't fit with the overall look at
>> all.
>
> Like Microsoft's own system apps that revert to some old-style GUI
> rather than the flat-ass Win 10+ interface?
>
> Or applications that provide their own window decoration no matter what
> OS they're on?

To be fair, no one uses Windows' system apps. WordPad's lack of use, in
particular, is a shame. It really was more than most people needed.

>>> Actually Linux has a LOT of interfaces. Windows only has one, and it's
>>> "dated" and ugly in my opinion.
>>
>> I like the look myself, but find that it quickly gets boring. In fact,
>> that's probably why I like installing Linux and trying something else
>> out all the time.
>
> I hear you on that one.  Though I kind of fixate on Fluxbox (or Xfce4)
> and use lxappearance, gtk-chtheme, gtk-theme-switch2,
> xfce4-appearance-settings, Fluxbox themes, or qt5ct to get a more
> harmonious look).

I alwaus end up missing the Buuf icons. I kind of wish I could use them in
Windows. The fact that my desktop looks like everyone else's (except for
the animated wallpaper courtesy of ArmouryCrate), does a lot to bore me.