Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<66438f0d$1$1258322$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

Date: Tue, 14 May 2024 12:19:25 -0400
Subject: Re: UN General Assembly backs Palestinian bid for membership
Newsgroups: rec.sport.pro-wrestling,rec.arts.tv,uk.comp.sys.mac,edm.general,sci.electronics.design
From: bitrex <user@example.net>

On 5/14/2024 10:59 AM, John Larkin wrote:
> On Tue, 14 May 2024 01:15:28 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:
>
>> On 5/13/2024 2:49 PM, John Larkin wrote:

>>> Their political science and sociology and journalism degrees won't
>>> help much either. It's hard to pay off a giant student loan with
>>> barrista tips.
>>>

>> Good thing asymptotically nobody is majoring in political science,
>> journalism, or pure sociology anymore, much less liberal arts!
>>
>> 1 in 5 degrees is a business degree, with the next 25% filled in by some
>> kind of healthcare. The future is managers..
>
> Too many people go to college and get expensive useless degrees. There
> are some excellent 2-year programs where essentially every graduate
> gets a job offer when they graduate. Sierra College has a great
> program in industrial controls.

Guaranteed job offers sounds sort of like guaranteed-issue life
insurance, better to have 16 maybes than one guarantee and zero maybes.

The railroad industry in the US is always looking for people, from that
you might get the impression not a lot of people wanted to work in it.
But they just tend to fire people as fast as they can hire them.

> Trade unions have apprentice programs too. We need plumbers and
> electricians and car and elevator repair people.

There's already a glut of dreadful businesses in the trades out there,
haven't you noticed? If there's one repair shop in your city that
combines the qualities of "competent" and "reasonably priced" you're lucky.

I have little doubt Phil Alison never hurt for business in electronics
repair if he had the first two down despite not having the title of "Ms.
Congeniality."

> (My office is just one wall away from the elevator repairpersons
> union. Nice people. Elevators made the modern city possible.)

Elevators seem remarkably reliable, I was thinking the other day that
I've probably ridden in them thousands of times and never had one
malfunction while I was on it.